Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Need to salvage my code. Does eclipse have cache of currently opened files?(Need to salvaege my code from drive dissaster. I was hoping for cache)
Need to salvage my code. Does eclipse have cache of currently opened files? [message #1785800] Fri, 20 April 2018 06:58 Go to next message
Cin Lung Chen is currently offline Cin Lung ChenFriend
Hi all

I am using eclipse oxigen from last year release. Yesterday my d drive died and the problem is d drive is where i save my codes. Two days before, I was working on a code and I had few files opened in eclipse. I closed the eclipse at e end of that day while leaving the currently edited codes in eclipse for ease of continuing editing them next time.

My eclipse is installed in c drive. Is there maybe a way to recover last opened files in eclipse? It would be awsome if i could recover my last code so I don't have to start back from zero. Maybe there is a cache of currently opened project or codes in c drive where eclipse was installed?

All helps and hints are much appreciated.
Re: Need to salvage my code. Does eclipse have cache of currently opened files? [message #1785818 is a reply to message #1785800] Fri, 20 April 2018 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Eclipse does maintain local history for each file you save, i.e., the previous version before the save, so you can do things like Compare With -> Local History from the context menu, but this history is stored in the workspace somewhere under <workspace>/metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/.history/*/*... but given that it sounds like your workspace itself was likely on the D: drive, that might not be helpful at all. :-(

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Need to salvage my code. Does eclipse have cache of currently opened files? [message #1786109 is a reply to message #1785818] Wed, 25 April 2018 17:21 Go to previous message
Patrick Moran is currently offline Patrick MoranFriend
Just for future reference, I have been dealing with some code taken off the Internet that tends to put WindowBuilder into an infinite loop, so I have sometimes had a couple of projects hollowed out (nothing I created being left). For that and for reasons of cached information with previous projects sometimes causing trouble, every time I get a step forward I copy the project and make a new version. If I really get a breakthrough I archive the new version to a separate directory.

I am on a Mac so I can use Time Machine to recover a file from months back (how far back depending on capacity of that second HD).

I suggest you start something like that. There may be a way on your computer to set up the kind of system wherein copies of files are kept on two disks at the same time, i.e., RAID..
Previous Topic:Eclipse Won't Open Suddenly (Resolved)
Next Topic:sqLite-stored data can be shown in JTextField but not JTextArea
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 19:42:19 GMT 2024