Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » JavaScript/Node.js migration paths(Looking for a decent migration path for my JavaScript / Node.js concerns)
JavaScript/Node.js migration paths [message #1781407] Tue, 06 February 2018 22:58 Go to next message
Michael Powell is currently offline Michael PowellFriend
Hello, not sure if this is the best forum to sound off, so moderators if there is a better one, please feel free to organize as you see fit.

I am looking for a migration path away from Visual Studio (i.e. VS2015) based JavaScript, specifically Node.js, oriented development.

My main concerns are limited support for Node.js and for npm, as well as a hard constraint that VS2015 does not support ECMAScript 6 yet. I don't know whether such support would, apart from being dialed in to the VS2017 migration path.

In terms of Eclipse, I learned of Nodeclipse? I am coming from a some time user of Eclipse tooling. I've used it for some past projects, i.e. Code Warrior based projects for ARM, which I think whose tooling is based on Eclipse, if memory serves, for example. As well as a bit of C/C++ here and there just besides using "raw/standard" Eclipse tooling.

Can anyone else weigh in here as to the efficacy of Eclipse, or specifically Nodeclipse, as a viable migration path? I would need support for things like Node.js, npm, gulp tasking, mocha/chai based unit testing, for starters. Migration paths for Chutzpah wouldn't be a concern as I believe this is a VS extension, but besides that, these are concerns that pop into mind.

Not least of which is ECMAScript migration path, which more and more it seems folks are adopting version 6 and leaving version 5 behind.

Thanks!
Re: JavaScript/Node.js migration paths [message #1781583 is a reply to message #1781407] Thu, 08 February 2018 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Powell is currently offline Michael PowellFriend
Any one care to weigh at all here?

I've migrated some of my purely VS/JS code to depend less if at all on VS and simply run using Gulp, Mocha, Chai, etc, for development purposes.

From there, depending on the degree of Eclipse support, I expect a migration would be fairly seamless, notwithstanding organization of projects, etc.

Additionally, the chief thing I am concerned about is the level of support provided for ES. With VS that is ES5, and no known migration path into ES6/7+.

Does anyone know the story with Eclipse? Specifically concerning ES support, and more generally for JS support?

Thanks!
Re: JavaScript/Node.js migration paths [message #1782693 is a reply to message #1781407] Tue, 27 February 2018 23:58 Go to previous message
Tatiana McGarry is currently offline Tatiana McGarryFriend
I am also interested in an answer to this. However, I think perhaps this is not the right place. I would suggest asking here: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/f/89/

Regarding nodeclipse, I believe it is no longer maintained. I would love to use eclipse for node.js development, but I am beginning to think it is not well supported.
Previous Topic:Elipse necon couldnt recognize assert as key word
Next Topic:Node.js and eclipse?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 12:41:38 GMT 2024