Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Titan » What's the difference between Titan AND RF(Robot Framework)?
What's the difference between Titan AND RF(Robot Framework)? [message #1779452] Mon, 08 January 2018 09:34 Go to next message
hong dai is currently offline hong daiFriend
1.What's the difference between Titan AND RF(Robot Framework)?
2.If I want to test a switch-just like Cisco Nexus 9516 Switch,which one should I choose? Titan or RF?

Re: What's the difference between Titan AND RF(Robot Framework)? [message #1779595 is a reply to message #1779452] Wed, 10 January 2018 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Elemer Lelik is currently offline Elemer LelikFriend
Hi Hong,

I'm only vaguely familiar with Robot Framework, so whatever I say below take it with a pinch of salt.

Technically Titan and RF are essentially different: Titan is a a TTCN-3 language compiler and execution environment while RF is a test framework written in Python. A consistent comparison would go way beyond a forum post and would probably take a considerable amount of effort.

However functionally the two appear equivalent and one cant go wrong with either. RF is a reputed and proved test framework and Titan, although less known to public (due to the fact that it went open source much later) is a test environment that has been successfully used in at least in as many circumstances.

Which protocols would be involved in your test? Maybe it would be worth examining the protocol coverage available in Titan and RF.

But again, in my opinion you cant go wrong with nor Titan neither RF.
If you are planning for long term , maybe it would be worth investing in a study that would systematically compare the two along all possible considerations.

Best regards
Elemer

[Updated on: Wed, 10 January 2018 08:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What's the difference between Titan AND RF(Robot Framework)? [message #1779600 is a reply to message #1779452] Wed, 10 January 2018 08:37 Go to previous message
Elemer Lelik is currently offline Elemer LelikFriend
Hi Hong,

I'm only vaguely familiar with Robot Framework, so whatever I say below take it with a pinch of salt.

Technically Titan and RF are essentially different: Titan is a a TTCN-3 language compiler and execution environment while RF is a test framework written in Python. A consistent comparison would go way beyond a forum post and would probably take a considerable amount of effort.

However functionally the two appear equivalent and one cant go wrong with either. RF is a reputed and proved test framework and Titan, although less known to public (due to the fact that it went open source much later) is a test environment that has been successfully used in at least in as many circumstances.

Which protocols would be involved in your test? Maybe it would be worth examining the protocol coverage available in Titan and RF.

But again, in my opinion you cant go wrong with nor Titan neither RF.
If you are planning for long term , maybe it would be worth investing in a study that would systematically compare the two along all possible considerations.

Best regards
Elemer

[Updated on: Wed, 10 January 2018 08:59]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Eclipse Titan 6.3.0 released, binaries available
Next Topic:Generate TTCN-3 Code from Java
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 01:02:17 GMT 2024