Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Oxygen - Error Message "The application "Eclipse" cannot be opened(Install Eclipse IDE for JAVA EE Developers Oxygen Mac)
Eclipse Oxygen - Error Message "The application "Eclipse" cannot be opened [message #1779246] Thu, 04 January 2018 10:40 Go to next message
Gareth Syms is currently offline Gareth SymsFriend
My current operating system is:
macOS High Sierra version 10.13.1

My current installed version of Java is:
java version "1.8.0_151":
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_151-b12)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.151-b12, mixed mode)

I've downloaded and unzipped the following version of Eclipse
eclipse-jee-oxygen-M2-macosx-cocoa-x86_64.tar

I've then created a folder called Java on my desktop and unzipped the file in the folder. When I click on the eclipse shortcut in the unzipped Eclipse Oxygen file i'm getting the following error Message - "The application "Eclipse" cannot be opened

I've installed all the above Windows versions on my windows laptop and it all works fine. However, i want to code on my Mac. Please can you advise on what the problem is and how i can fix it.

I've looked at other threads but none seem to have the same issue. I've attached screenshots of the files i've downloaded.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Re: Eclipse Oxygen - Error Message "The application "Eclipse" cannot be opened [message #1779267 is a reply to message #1779246] Thu, 04 January 2018 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Rivet is currently offline Charles RivetFriend

Hi Gareth,

The file you downloaded for Mac should have been a "DMG" file, not an archive. You can simply "run" that file to install Eclipse in the Mac's Applications folder. You do not need to unzip that file...

/Charles Rivet
Re: Eclipse Oxygen - Error Message "The application "Eclipse" cannot be opened [message #1779268 is a reply to message #1779267] Thu, 04 January 2018 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gareth Syms is currently offline Gareth SymsFriend
Thanks for the quick response. It worked.
Re: Eclipse Oxygen - Error Message "The application "Eclipse" cannot be opened [message #1779380 is a reply to message #1779268] Fri, 05 January 2018 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt Isaacson is currently offline Matt IsaacsonFriend
Hi Gareth,

I just saw your post. I just posted as well regarding problems with Eclipse under macOS 10.13.1 (still waiting for it to appear in the forum). I'm having trouble with the JRE part - in particular, getting the right version in place. You seem to have managed that - can you tell me where you got it?

Many thanks in advance,
Matt
Re: Eclipse Oxygen - Error Message "The application "Eclipse" cannot be opened [message #1779382 is a reply to message #1779380] Fri, 05 January 2018 19:18 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Links can be found in the sticky post about macOS at https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/198527/ .

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:Copy-paste Swing Component in workbench not working!
Next Topic:Nonetype object is not iterable
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 23:49:41 GMT 2024