Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Vex » Vex Status
Vex Status [message #1777935] Wed, 06 December 2017 12:00 Go to next message
Jan Tošovský is currently offline Jan TošovskýFriend
Dear All,

I am DocBook fan who is sad its use is declining in favor of other technologies. The main reason is IMHO the lack of production ready open source visual editor. I like a lot Oxygen XML Author, but it is too expensive for many users.

As a developer I'd like to contribute to any promising open source project, but there are just few ones, moreover none of them seems to be actively maintained.

I've tried VEX recently. It does basic job quite well, cool. However, there are still lot of features missing:
- ability to display non-editable tags with their attributes directly in the editor area
- ability to copy/paste subtrees to different places
- ability to display XIncludes (in read only mode)
- display validating problems in the margin
- advanced editing of tables
- support for change tracking
- support for collapsing nodes (chapter/sections)
- XPath search

Is there any interest of incorporating these features?
Are there active users of this tool?

Thanks, Jan
Re: Vex Status [message #1778011 is a reply to message #1777935] Thu, 07 December 2017 18:29 Go to previous message
Florian Thienel is currently offline Florian ThienelFriend
Hi Jan,

It's nice to hear that there is still interest in Vex out there. Unfortunately there is currently nobody actively working on Vex. I don't find enough time at the moment to develop new things.

But contributions are welcome anytime. A review does not take as much time as implementing a feature on your own. And: some things on your list already exist in the current state on the master branch in one or the other way, or could be implemented with low effort.

So if you have the time and feel like it, I really want to encourage you to contribute. I will provide as much help as I can to make you familiar with our codebase.

Best Regards,

Florian
Previous Topic:Errors when trying to install Vex
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 04:16:48 GMT 2024