Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Adding ciphers to Password Based Encryption for Secure Storage
Adding ciphers to Password Based Encryption for Secure Storage [message #1775737] Sat, 04 November 2017 15:57 Go to next message
Gideon Kane is currently offline Gideon KaneFriend
I would like to use stronger encryption available in my Java run-time to protect my secure storage file. I am running Eclipse-Oxygen.a1 running on JRE 9. The options available for Password Based Encryption (PBE) in General->Security->Secure Storage on the Advanced tab seem limited compared to what the JRE provides. I would like to remove weaker options (like MD5 and RC2) in the "Select encryption algorithm to use in new storages" drop-down and replace them with stronger ones like AES 256, etc.

I was able to confirm that my JRE can leverage these stronger encryption ciphers by testing with Java applications I wrote. Is it possible to now extend Eclipse to add these ciphers to the options for Secure Storage?
Re: Adding ciphers to Password Based Encryption for Secure Storage [message #1776085 is a reply to message #1775737] Fri, 10 November 2017 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
It would be great to submit a patch!

http://git.eclipse.org/c/equinox/rt.equinox.bundles.git/tree/CONTRIBUTING

The relevant code is in the org.eclipse.equinox.security* bundles. I don't know this code, so I'd suggest posting to equinox-dev.

Brian.
Re: Adding ciphers to Password Based Encryption for Secure Storage [message #1776106 is a reply to message #1776085] Sat, 11 November 2017 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
It's quite poor documentation. There's no mention of Gerrit, which I assume is the preferred way to contribute. There is an Oomph setup for Equinox, but unfortunately the developers don't maintain it themselves, doing everything manually and expecting the same from the contributors. The platform UI team has this nice documentation for their contributors which includes how to use Oomph:
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform_UI/How_to_Contribute#Setting_up_your_SDK_for_code_contributions
Those same instructions can be applied for the Bundles subproject of the Equinox project in the Eclipse.org project catalog of setups.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Adding ciphers to Password Based Encryption for Secure Storage [message #1776585 is a reply to message #1776106] Sat, 18 November 2017 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gideon Kane is currently offline Gideon KaneFriend
I was afraid of that. So if I really want to use these features, seems I need to develop them myself? I'll have to look into that.
Re: Adding ciphers to Password Based Encryption for Secure Storage [message #1824102 is a reply to message #1775737] Wed, 08 April 2020 03:54 Go to previous message
Ankur J is currently offline Ankur JFriend
Were you able to achieve this ? I have similar requirement. I do not see strong encryption algorithms in the drop down.
Previous Topic:f key is not working while editing java source code in eclipse
Next Topic:INewWizard without pages
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 20:44:12 GMT 2024