Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » All open files closed when network connection lost
All open files closed when network connection lost [message #1774814] Thu, 19 October 2017 21:42 Go to next message
Pierre Duhamel is currently offline Pierre DuhamelFriend
Hello,

When I work on a project stored on a network drive and the connection to the network drive is lost, eclipse immediately tries to close all my open files or complains that it can not auto save and forces me to save somewhere else. The files disappear from the workspace, and I have to refresh to have them show up again.

Is there a way to have eclipse work better with files on a network drive?

The network is temporary lost and comes back by its self when my computer goes in and out of sleep, so this happens very frequently.

Using Windows 10, Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers, Version: Neon.3 Release (4.6.3), Build id: 20170314-1500

Thanks!
Re: All open files closed when network connection lost [message #1774823 is a reply to message #1774814] Fri, 20 October 2017 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
No, I don't think there is much you (or anyone) can do to improve this. I don't think there is a way to tell difference between "the network connection to the file is temporarily down" versus "the file is permanently deleted". Not having write access tot he workspace's metadata is also going to cause unexpected grief. It would be best to avoid this.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: All open files closed when network connection lost [message #1774845 is a reply to message #1774814] Fri, 20 October 2017 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ecl ecl is currently offline ecl eclFriend
In case you are using git: Can you set up a git repository on the network server? Then you could work with a local repository / local files in eclipse and push / pull the changes?
Re: All open files closed when network connection lost [message #1774870 is a reply to message #1774845] Fri, 20 October 2017 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pierre Duhamel is currently offline Pierre DuhamelFriend
I need to leave the source on a server, so that I can uses special tools to build it. The workspace is stored locally. I just think there should be a way to turn off auto save and stop eclipse from constantly checking if the file exists until I choose to save it. Thanks for your help and advice
Re: All open files closed when network connection lost [message #1774911 is a reply to message #1774870] Sat, 21 October 2017 06:23 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I don't know all the context of your scenario, but usually/normally a build environment retrieves the source code from a source code repository and so one does not need to share project files on a network drive in order for that to be possible...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Eclipse Neon autocomplete system sucks. How to disable it?
Next Topic:eclipse will not open on my brand new mac
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 23:55:58 GMT 2024