Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse not running on new Mac(I have downloaded the Java 8 JDK and Eclipse Oxygen however I still receive the error to check the workspace metadata log files)
Eclipse not running on new Mac [message #1773973] Sun, 08 October 2017 02:06 Go to next message
Simon Wagner is currently offline Simon WagnerFriend
I downloaded Java 8 JDK and Eclipse Oxygen 4.7. I have checked my java version with the oracle website and it tells me that it is up to date. When I check the console application on my Mac it tells be that the application was unable to launch to to abnormal code: 13. I am able to get to selecting a workspace in oxygen, following that it reports the error. I have tried downloading the Save 8 JRE with no change in the output. I have checked the [workspace]/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources and there is no .snap file, which others recommended I delete to solve the problem. I have tried deleting and creating a new workspace. I have tried uninstalling java and reinstalling it. I have tried uninstalling eclipse and reinstalling it. I have wiped my entire computer, reinstalled the os, and then reinstalled everything (its brand new and empty so it wasn't a big deal). But I have no idea what to do now, and no forums are describing a clear and common answer. So does anyone have any ideas?
Re: Eclipse not running on new Mac [message #1773980 is a reply to message #1773973] Sun, 08 October 2017 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Exactly which files did you download?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Eclipse not running on new Mac [message #1773986 is a reply to message #1773980] Sun, 08 October 2017 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Both Java SE 8u144 JDK ( jdk-8u144-macosx-x64.dmg ) and Java SE 8u144 JRE ( jre-8u144-macosx-x64.dmg )

[Updated on: Sun, 08 October 2017 06:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse not running on new Mac [message #1773992 is a reply to message #1773986] Sun, 08 October 2017 13:19 Go to previous message
This link solved my issue: https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse.ini#-vm_value:_Mac_OS_X_Example. I followed the Mac Example. I located the file eclipse.ini. I then selected "Get info" and change ".ini" to ".txt". This allowed me to edit the text in the file. I then went to finder, went to Macintosh HD -> Library -> Java -> JavaVirtualMachines -> jdk1.8.0_144.jdk -> Contents -> Home -> bin. Then I opened the eclipse.txt file with the general Text Editor. This is the path I then copied into the text file eclipse.txt right under "-vm" like this "/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_144.jdk/Contents/Home/bin". I then hit command save. Then I selected "Get info" on the eclipse.txt file and changed the ".txt" to ".ini" and replied yes I'm sure to use ".ini" when a little pop up box came. Then I exited out of finder and relaunched eclipse with success!
Previous Topic:Java for Windows Missing... but it's not
Next Topic:Not running on Ubuntu 1.16.04
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 06:46:40 GMT 2024