Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » More Eclipse Compiler Bugs(Eclipse Compiler and Oracle Compiler often do not come to the same result with more advanced generic code...)
More Eclipse Compiler Bugs [message #1772504] Mon, 11 September 2017 15:16 Go to next message
Jörg Hohwiller is currently offline Jörg HohwillerFriend
Hi there,

I already posted about differences between Oracle compiler and Eclipse compiler a longer while ago and got valuable feedback leading at least to a bug in Oracle compiler.
In general with more complex generic code sometimes one of the compilers fails to compile while the other succeeds. It is not always easy to tell which one is correct.
However, I found a new bug in Eclipse compiler with latest Eclipse IDE (IMHO a regression in Oxygen):
https://github.com/m-m-m/util/commit/95d2b9ea5ac8d9ce2959a0becae429bca4353b5c

My entire collection of bugs I was facing is collected in this issue:
https://github.com/m-m-m/util/issues/166

I once was thinking that the compiler developers from Oracle and from Eclipse would actually consider such input as valuable and by themselves do analysis and fix according bugs. All that needs to be done is checkout the git hash before an according workaround was committed and compile that code with the failing compiler. However, I had to discover that this is not the case.

Maybe someone here will at least care for the first link where you can IMHO verify within minutes that it is a bug in Eclipse compiler.

Thanks for taking care
Jörg
Re: More Eclipse Compiler Bugs [message #1772590 is a reply to message #1772504] Tue, 12 September 2017 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Quote:
Maybe someone here will at least care for the first link where you can IMHO verify within minutes that it is a bug in Eclipse compiler.

Sorry, but bugs that can be classified in few minutes are the exception, not the rule. Due to the complexity of the Java type system, some bugs take days and a lot of discussion back and forth, before we even know, which component must be fixed, ecj, javac or JLS.

So, just looking at a commit in your repo will not give us much info why you believe you found a bug in ecj. That's why we'd appreciate that you - while memory is still fresh - file a bug with an explanation why you think the behavior of ecj is wrong. Of course, references to JLS wouls be swell, but in some cases already common sense reasoning gives us a good idea where to look.

cheers,
Stephan

Re: More Eclipse Compiler Bugs [message #1772824 is a reply to message #1772590] Fri, 15 September 2017 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Done
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=522380
Re: More Eclipse Compiler Bugs [message #1772865 is a reply to message #1772824] Mon, 18 September 2017 06:27 Go to previous message
> Sorry, but bugs that can be classified in few minutes are the exception, not the rule. Due to the complexity of the Java type system, some bugs take days and a lot of discussion back and forth, before we even know, which component must be fixed, ecj, javac or JLS.

Everything compiles in the current state. If I override a specific method in an interface only to extend the JavaDoc but do not change the method signature (the code that I had to remove as a workaround) then Eclipse shows compile errors in code using that method. IMHO this is an obvious bug and does not need any further discussion or complex investigation. Of course tracing the error down in the compiler code will of course be a lot of effort. I am maintainer of 5 OSS projects and I love feedback like this and in such case do the analysis for other bugs in my spare time. Seems that for Eclipse you are drowning in feedback and even though you are backed by the foundation the resources are too little for the huge amount of feedback - if that is honestly the case, I do understand your reactions.
Previous Topic:Eclipse Random Mouse Movements and Clicking
Next Topic:Build path entry from URL
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 05:02:18 GMT 2024