Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Fans tricked into overworking when anything done in Eclipse(Fans somehow think it necessary to go into overdrive mode when Eclipse is being used.)
Fans tricked into overworking when anything done in Eclipse [message #1770501] Sat, 12 August 2017 18:39 Go to next message
George Lutas is currently offline George LutasFriend
I'm using Windows 7 64-bit edition on AMD hardware and everything is fairly cool in my rig. However, whenever I open Eclipse, my CPU fan goes into overdrive and starts cooling my CPU until I stop doing something with Eclipse. After I stop doing anything involving Eclipse, it stops spinning as hard soon after. I recently reapplied thermal paste to my CPU and checked to see if any hardware was failing (it wasn't). This is a pure software error and it has only recently started happening and only with Eclipse (specifically the C/C++ IDE as that is what I use). This was the case for Neon and now Oxygen. I just recently updated.
Re: Fans tricked into overworking when anything done in Eclipse [message #1770564 is a reply to message #1770501] Mon, 14 August 2017 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
Hi George,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your CPU and fan. It sounds like Eclipse is doing a lot of work. Do you believe that this work to be in error? If so, can you provide stack traces (use jps/jstack) of what Eclipse is doing and your setup (how big is your C/C++ Project for example)?

Eclipse itself has no direct control over the fans of the CPU. It indirectly will cause the fans to start as Eclipse is multi-threaded and can easily use all available cores/threads on a CPU.

HTH
Jonah
Re: Fans tricked into overworking when anything done in Eclipse [message #1771630 is a reply to message #1770564] Mon, 28 August 2017 22:27 Go to previous message
George Lutas is currently offline George LutasFriend
No you see that's the thing. The fans will literally start up when I open Eclipse from scratch. No projects have to be running. I uninstalled and reinstalled eclipse and the same issue persisted. Help?
Previous Topic:Eclipse Oxygen C++ Error Starting Process
Next Topic:WORKSPACE_LOC and PROJECT_LOC path variables and linked resources
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:04:19 GMT 2024