Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » VIATRA » java_trace files necessary?
java_trace files necessary? [message #1767823] Tue, 11 July 2017 12:27 Go to next message
Erhan Leblebici is currently offline Erhan LeblebiciFriend

Hello,

I have probably more than a hundred patterns in my viatra project and java code generation for patterns takes too long (which is, I think, already a known issue).

I have the feeling that half of the code generation time is spent with generating java_trace files (as far as I can observe from the progress monitor). Is there a way to not generate these debugging-related files?

Regards,
Erhan
Re: java_trace files necessary? [message #1767925 is a reply to message #1767823] Wed, 12 July 2017 08:23 Go to previous message
Zoltan Ujhelyi is currently offline Zoltan UjhelyiFriend
Hi,

first of all, we are sorry that code generation is slow for your use case. We are already actively working on this area, and have already a few profiling sessions to identify the cause of slowness. Interestingly, the progress monitor display and the profiling results does not feel entirely in sync, so we are very careful of pointing at the generation of some specific files is the main culprit or not. Generating the java_trace files is one candidate to turn off, however, we did not find an easy to do yet.

Nonetheless, given we have already identified a few cases that affect the code generation performance, based on them I try to offer at least some workarounds until we have a better solution:
* If your metamodels are only available in your workspace or your target platform
* Installing the metamodels into the host Eclipse should result in faster code generation. This is especially true, if you have large genmodel files that are used for multiple EMF metamodels (e.g. subpackages).
* If you cannot install these metamodels, you could turn on our experimental switch in the Eclipse preferences on VIATRA preference page VIATRA Tooling; this turns on a cache of known metamodels that is known to speed up the generation. However be careful that if your metamodel changes, this cache will become invalid. This feature is available since VIATRA 1.5.2.
* If you are using an antivirus software (including Windows Defender), it helps to turn its live validation off for the workspace folder. We have seen this causing serious performance issues.

Best regards,
Zoltán
Previous Topic:VIATRA1.6.0
Next Topic:Viatra tutorial
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 13:46:10 GMT 2024