Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Where are files written to "C:\Program Files (x86)" stored?
Where are files written to "C:\Program Files (x86)" stored? [message #1767564] Fri, 07 July 2017 07:57 Go to next message
Peter Pinnau is currently offline Peter PinnauFriend
I have created a MSI installer for my RCP application. Typically the product gets installed in C:\Program Files(x86)\...

In config.ini I set the following parameters for the shared install:

osgi.configuration.area=@user.home/SCDMS/configuration
osgi.instance.area=@user.home/SCDMS/instance

When the RCP application is started for the first time it looks for properties file in some locations. If the file is not found a new one is created and saved to the proper place. The first choice is:

Platform.getInstallLocation()

which results in C:\Program Files (x86)\...

I expected to get an AccessDeniedException when trying to write there without admin permissions but writing the properties file succeeds.

When I restart the RCP application the properties file is found and everything works fine.
But I cannot see the properties file in C:\Program Files (x86)\...

I tried to open the path with a small Java programm and get a FileNotFoundException. The file is not there.

So it must be stored somewhere else. I delete the configuration und instance directories but the file is still found by the RCP product.

Does anyone know where files saved to the platform's install location get stored when the install location is not writable because of a shared installaction?

Thanks
Peter

Re: Where are files written to "C:\Program Files (x86)" stored? [message #1767572 is a reply to message #1767564] Fri, 07 July 2017 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Jacob is currently offline Martin JacobFriend
Hi Peter,

look for the topic Virtual Store.

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

Martin
Re: Where are files written to "C:\Program Files (x86)" stored? [message #1767576 is a reply to message #1767572] Fri, 07 July 2017 08:44 Go to previous message
Peter Pinnau is currently offline Peter PinnauFriend
Hallo Martin,

OK found it there. Thank you very much.
Previous Topic:Keep contributed part hidden till requested
Next Topic:How to change the language of Minimize/Maximize button in a PartStack?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 00:54:27 GMT 2024