Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Cleaning up Git repository misbehaving
Cleaning up Git repository misbehaving [message #1767406] Wed, 05 July 2017 16:48 Go to next message
Mark Green is currently offline Mark GreenFriend
Hi,

I have noticed that Eclipse seems to have a large number of files which are not suitable for version control, but rather than adding them to .gitignore it just does not stage them. Due to a team member using command-line raw git on the workspace, a number of these files have ended up staged in the remote repository. I am trying to fix this but having strange problems:

* If I choose Team > Advanced > Clean it offers me a list of files to "clean up" from the repository. However, if I select them and press Finish and then choose the same option again, they are all still there.
* Also after doing this Clean, doing a Commit shows that there are no staged changes, so I cannot Push the commit containing the deletions of the wrongly staged files.

Is there a way I can do this?

Re: Cleaning up Git repository misbehaving [message #1767423 is a reply to message #1767406] Wed, 05 July 2017 20:38 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
It's not clear that this question is specific to JDT settings. Certainly .classpath files should generally be committed. Even stuff in the .settings folder of each project are probably things you should commit (project-specific preferences). Stuff in the "bin" folder (.class files) is not something you want to commit. But without a more concrete example of a file that you're not sure about or with which you're having problems, it's not possible to give specific advice.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Compiler shows no errer about static class
Next Topic:Error on generated plug-in code
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 02:19:48 GMT 2024