Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Sirius » Show / Hide Dialog Automatic child selection
Show / Hide Dialog Automatic child selection [message #1766726] Mon, 26 June 2017 14:10 Go to next message
Hendrik Buender is currently offline Hendrik BuenderFriend
Imagine a class diagram on which some classes with their attributes and operations are shown. When you do a right click on the diagram you can select "Show/Hide" from the menu. This will open a dialog with a tree viewer that lists all elements (and their children) shown on the diagram. In contrast to the usual Eclipse behavior, if you select/deselect a parent element not all its child elements are selected/deselected. Is that a design decision or a bug?

System Information:
- Eclipse Mars 2 (4.5.2)
- Sirius 4.1.2
- Xtext 2.11
- Windows 64, IntelCore I7-4700, 16GB RAM

1. Download sampleProject.zip, unzip and import into workspace
2. Start runtime
3. Download sampleRuntimeProject.zip, unzip and import into runtime workspace
4. Open /org.eclipse.xtext.example.domainmodel.sample/src/org/eclipse/xtext/example/domainmodel/sample/representation/representations.aird --> Company Entity Diagram
5. Right Click on the model and select "Show/Hide" from the menu.
6. Within the menu select or deselect and top-level element from the tree viewer ==> The child elements are not changed (selected/deselected) which IMHO is not the standard eclipse behavior.

Any help is much appreciated. I could also raise a bug if you like.

Cheers,

Hendrik
Re: Show / Hide Dialog Automatic child selection [message #1766738 is a reply to message #1766726] Mon, 26 June 2017 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laurent Fasani is currently offline Laurent FasaniFriend
Hello

I would say that it works as is.
For me, your scenario is not a blocking issue because, if you select only the root object as hidden, then the whole children are hidden too.
I understand nevertheless that you can consider the UI is misleading because the children are not selected as there are though hidden.

Regards
Laurent

Laurent Fasani - Obeo
Need training or professional services for Sirius?
http://www.obeodesigner.com/sirius
Re: Show / Hide Dialog Automatic child selection [message #1767775 is a reply to message #1766738] Tue, 11 July 2017 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Laurent,

you are right, it works for hidding existing elements and their children. However, when I want to show a single child element I have to select the parent element and then deselect all the other child elements. With the treeviewer behavior I am used to, I could just deselect the parent which leads to all child elements being deselected. Afterwards, I just have to select the one child element that should be shown and all the parent elements (considering a deep hierarchy) become selected. Thereby, the UI becomes much more efficient. Would you consider changing the treeviewer behavior?

Thanks in advance,

Hendrik
Re: Show / Hide Dialog Automatic child selection [message #1768673 is a reply to message #1767775] Fri, 21 July 2017 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Laurent,

do you have any thoughts on my suggestion? Would you consider opening a bug?

Thanks in advance

Hendrik
Re: Show / Hide Dialog Automatic child selection [message #1768684 is a reply to message #1768673] Fri, 21 July 2017 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laurent Fasani is currently offline Laurent FasaniFriend
Hello

Effectively the behavior is not really user friendly.
You can open a ticket as feature request. Potentially, we will re-qualify part of the behavior relative to your scenario to a new bug if it is the case.
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Sirius

Regards
Laurent

Laurent Fasani - Obeo
Re: Show / Hide Dialog Automatic child selection [message #1768686 is a reply to message #1768673] Fri, 21 July 2017 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pierre Guilet is currently offline Pierre GuiletFriend
Edit: Like Laurent said :p

Pierre Guilet - Obeo

[Updated on: Fri, 21 July 2017 14:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Show / Hide Dialog Automatic child selection [message #1782306 is a reply to message #1766726] Wed, 21 February 2018 14:36 Go to previous message
Eventually, created a bug. Sorry for the delay:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=531472
Previous Topic:Duplicate
Next Topic:No viewpoints on sirius rcp product
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 02:51:37 GMT 2024