Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Oomph root setup and start issues on Linux Mint 18 / Ubuntu 16 LTE
Oomph root setup and start issues on Linux Mint 18 / Ubuntu 16 LTE [message #1766346] Tue, 20 June 2017 12:19 Go to next message
Lars Haendler is currently offline Lars HaendlerFriend
I decided to go from Eclipse Mars to Neo and set up a test VM. I downloaded the eclipse-inst-linux64.tar.gz, extracted it and tried to run ./eclipse-inst from my default user. I ended up with this error message:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Error initializing storage.
[...]
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/hlars/Downloads/eclipse-installer/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/.manager/.fileTableLock (Permission denied)

I sudo'ed the installer and everything went along just fine. I chose to install Neon - like I did with Mars - in my user home directory. In this case: /home/hlars/jee-neon/

Starting Eclipse with my default user returns this error:
/root/.p2/pool/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.1.401.v20161122-1740: cannot open shared object file: Permission denied
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.

Starting Eclipse with sudo works just fine. But I do not want to start Eclipse as root user. Did I do something wrong with the install?
Re: Oomph root setup and start issues on Linux Mint 18 / Ubuntu 16 LTE [message #1766385 is a reply to message #1766346] Tue, 20 June 2017 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Does your regular user account not have write access to /home/hlars/Downloads/eclipse-installer/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/.manager ? Where did you locate the bundle pool. You can choose a different location via the menu. In general I expect all the defaults when you run the first time as a user would be using locations in your user home folder.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Oomph root setup and start issues on Linux Mint 18 / Ubuntu 16 LTE [message #1766398 is a reply to message #1766385] Wed, 21 June 2017 05:38 Go to previous message
Lars Haendler is currently offline Lars HaendlerFriend
I got it figured out. I tried two different VMs with Mint 18.1 but the installer always halts with an error no matter what I do. The trick was just to restart the installation. Once it runs a second time everything is fine.

The mess I created by sudo'ing the installation is on me. I should have known better.
Previous Topic:Oomph target platform setup
Next Topic:Eclipse neon 64 bit installation failing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 10:02:08 GMT 2024