Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » P2 » Plugin installation is really slow(Installing our plugin from Eclipse UI or p2 command line is very slow)
Plugin installation is really slow [message #1765547] Mon, 12 June 2017 11:13 Go to next message
Shai A is currently offline Shai AFriend
When installing or uninstalling our plugin, either from within Eclipse's UI or from command line, the process seems to take about 5 minutes.
I ran Eclipse with -debug and -consolelog and what seems to take most of the time is saving the profile. This is the line I see in the log:
Saving profile to: /Users/shaia/.p2/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine/profileRegistry/_Users_shaia_dev_apps_eclipse_slow-install-neon_Eclipse.app_Contents_Eclipse.profile/1497190870904.profile.gz

The profile.gz file size is about 500k.
I tried installing some other 3rd party plugin from the market place and the problem reproduced.
This happens on mac, windows and Linux with Eclipse neon (4.6.1, 4.6.3) and Mars (4.5.2).
I tried installing via the dropins folder but that did not help either (Eclipse takes a long time to start up).
I also tried Eclipse installations with and without a bundle pool and did not see any difference.

Is this the normal behavior? Why is this happening and can I do something to improve it?

Thanks very much for any who can help
Shai
Re: Plugin installation is really slow [message #1766004 is a reply to message #1765547] Wed, 14 June 2017 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Could you try profiling with VisualVM or some other profiler?
Re: Plugin installation is really slow [message #1766058 is a reply to message #1766004] Thu, 15 June 2017 09:28 Go to previous message
Shai A is currently offline Shai AFriend
Hi Brian
Thanks for your reply.
I'm not sure how easy that will be, especially since I don't have Eclipse source code and have no idea what to look for.
I'll try to download some profiler and give it a go.

Thanks
Shai
Previous Topic:How to bind a feature to a specific Eclipse package/version
Next Topic:Is it possible to support multiple env in the same p2 repository?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 13:07:15 GMT 2024