Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Understanding UML file for parametric diagrams(Seeing some discrepancy in the UML file created when saving the parametric diagrams)
Understanding UML file for parametric diagrams [message #1763450] Tue, 16 May 2017 10:23 Go to next message
Rajesh Kedia is currently offline Rajesh KediaFriend
Hi,

I am creating a parametric diagram in SYSML. Once a diagram is created, I use the corresponding .uml file to do some post processing on the diagram. However, I see some discrepancy and hence seeking opinions.

I create 2 instances of a particular block (ConstraintBlock1) which has a single parameter named p1. I create a second block named ConstraintBlock2 with a parameter named p2. I connect p1 of both these blocks with p2 of ConstraintBlock2 using Binding connectors.

However, when I look into the .uml file saved corresponding to this diagram, the binding connectors reference the parameter names from within the ConstraintBlock1 Class and not from the individual objects of it. Thus, it is not possible to find out from the uml file which connector connects p2 to which instance of ConstraintBlock1.
This problem doesn't exist when only single instance of each block is used in the parametric diagram. But when using multiple instances, the connections should refer to the individual parameters from objects rather than at class level.

However, this problem is handled by the Papyrus tool in drawing the diagram because it saves the coordinates of the connections and blocks and replicates them in the diagram.

Attached a uml file for the same.

--rajesh
  • Attachment: d1.uml
    (Size: 12.46KB, Downloaded 157 times)
Re: Understanding UML file for parametric diagrams [message #1763454 is a reply to message #1763450] Tue, 16 May 2017 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sebastien Revol is currently offline Sebastien RevolFriend
Hi Rajesh,
SysML parametric diagram does not deal with UML instances but with class and properties.
SysML introduces the notion of "propertyPath" to allow to navigate through a hierarchy of properties.
This additional information is owned by stereotypes. In your example, this is the "Blocks:NestedConnectorEnd" stereotype, applied to each of the connector's end that identifies the property owning the ports.
You can find more information in OMG's SysML specification (for instance section 8.3.2.11 for NestedConnectorEnd in SysML 1.4).
I hope it helps,
Seb
Re: Understanding UML file for parametric diagrams [message #1763816 is a reply to message #1763450] Sat, 20 May 2017 15:34 Go to previous message
Rajesh Kedia is currently offline Rajesh KediaFriend
Hi Seb,

Thanks for the details. I had uploaded a SYSML diagram earlier of previous version, but now I attach a SYSML1.4 diagram UML file.

TimetoAcc1, TimetoAcc2, TimetoAcc3, TimetoAcc4 are 4 constraint property of a constraint block type TimetoAcc.
BindingConnector5, BindingConnector6, BindingConnector7 and BindingConnector8 connect to these blocks. However, I cannot decipher from the UML file about which of these connector connects to which of the constraint property.

Compared to earlier version of SYSML diagram, there is no mention of ConstraintProperty in the diagram and also the nestedconnectorend doesn't reflect any such connection.

If you could shed some light on what I am missing, it will be very helpful.

--rajesh
  • Attachment: test.uml
    (Size: 32.40KB, Downloaded 117 times)
Previous Topic:Issues with OpaqueBehavior editor
Next Topic:Confusing Property Types
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 04:09:31 GMT 2024