Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » You'd think it would be simpler than this?(Package Tree / Font Size)
icon8.gif  You'd think it would be simpler than this? [message #1760778] Tue, 02 May 2017 21:19 Go to next message
Alex Summers is currently offline Alex SummersFriend
Mad
My apologies if I sound a bit sour, an hour in, and I shouldn't be having to fight with my IDE so much about this little nit pick. It's been asked a number of times on stack exchange, but with Neon, I can't seem to find the files or what it is I'm supposed to be editing or doing. Everything else, is so pitch perfect and lovely.

I'd like to change the package explorer font and size, without changing my overall dpi settings.

Many of the old suggestions, had us editing a .css file. I've checked my user directory and install directory, to no avail.

I'm on a windows 10 machine, using Eclipse Neon.3 Release (4.6.3)
Build id: 20170314-1500

Any help would be much appreciated. I can't imagine posting this in the other groups where far more serious operations are being had. Hopefully I found a decent place to ask?
Re: You'd think it would be simpler than this? [message #1760903 is a reply to message #1760778] Thu, 04 May 2017 08:13 Go to previous message
Alex Summers is currently offline Alex SummersFriend
After some poking around with procmon, I located the theme files, and the necessary style. I'm a bit abashed to have seen so many users told they must change their system settings, or told it can't be done. Eclipse is probably the most modifiable IDE out there. So without further ado, the solution.

If you wish to change the font and size of the Package Explorer in Windows7/10, while using Eclipse Neon, the location of the format CSS sheet isn't where one might expect to find it (I seem to recall it was in .eclipse before?).

It's located in: \Users\<USERNAME>\.p2\pool\plugins\org.eclipse.ui.themes_<VERSION>\css

In here, you will find the, what I believe might be the cached version of the style sheets that Eclipse uses. (It appears it expands them from packaged jars at first run, so if they're missing, run eclipse first)

You can check which theme you are using by looking in Window -> Preferences -> General -> Appearance within Eclipse Neon

You can either edit your particular theme file you have selected, which by default on Windows7/10 should be: e4_default_win7.css
Or you can edit the base file which all the e4 themes will inherit, named: e4_basestyle.css

At the end of either of these files, simply add the lines:
#org-eclipse-jdt-ui-PackageExplorer Tree,
#org-eclipse-ui-navigator-ProjectExplorer Tree {
    font-size: 10px; /* <-- Desired font size */
    font: Consolas;  /* <-- Font you want to have */
}

You can independently write these css classes out to your liking, or leave them grouped as is. Both the parameters font-size and font, are of course optional.

Previous Topic:duplicating project specific question
Next Topic:Neon 3 and Sloeber plugin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:06:36 GMT 2024