Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » EPL Licence coming from Scout Homepage Query
EPL Licence coming from Scout Homepage Query [message #1758994] Wed, 05 April 2017 06:31 Go to next message
Matthias Zimmermann is currently offline Matthias ZimmermannFriend
Yesterday, we got a question via Scout homepage query regarding the implications of the Eclipse Public Licence (EPL) that we would like to answer in the forum:

Quote:
Hello, I have been using eclipse scout for a really long time and have realized how powerful it really is. My question is, is it legal for me to make custom software for people and sell it?

Disclaimer: This answer below is not legal advice. If you need legal advice, you must contact your own lawyer. Sorry - we need to make this clear ...

• Short answer: Yes, you may build stuff using EPL licenced code and sell it. Eclipse projects are about commercially friendly software. Selling your stuff is not only allowed but encouraged Smile
  • Medium answer: Assuming that you build your custom software using EPL software (such as the Scout framework) and you now are selling this custom software. The answer is still yes. You do not need to include the Scout source code and you do not need to redistribute your custom software under the EPL. For your product you are pretty free to chose the licence that meets your needs. However, copyleft licences such as GPL or LGPL are not possible.
  • Long answer: Go through the EPL FAQ list. If you feel that your specific case is not covered you may ask your questions via email: license (at) eclipse.org

Re: EPL Licence coming from Scout Homepage Query [message #1759239 is a reply to message #1758994] Sat, 08 April 2017 00:47 Go to previous message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
About EPL: EPLv2: A New Version of the Eclipse Public License
Previous Topic:[neon] Error status and table cells
Next Topic:Eclipse Scout Neon Releases
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:42:56 GMT 2024