Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » [Xcore] Project does not build anymore after git clean -fdx(Project is missing required source folder: 'src' despite it exists)
[Xcore] Project does not build anymore after git clean -fdx [message #1754946] Fri, 24 February 2017 11:56 Go to next message
Jens Rabe is currently offline Jens RabeFriend
I had to clean out my Git repository using "git clean -fdx". After that, my Xcore projects get a fat red exclamation mark and I get the error: Project 'xxx' is missing required source folder: 'src'.

I checked my build.properties and the folder is there indeed.

Nothing helps - no closing/reopening of project, no new git clean -fdx, no refreshing...

What can I do?

EDIT: What helped: Delete the .project and everything eclipse-specific and re-import the project.

But since I have a ton of Eclipse plugins, I don't want to import everything manually everytime. Is there a better way?

[Updated on: Fri, 24 February 2017 11:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [Xcore] Project does not build anymore after git clean -fdx [message #1754947 is a reply to message #1754946] Fri, 24 February 2017 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karsten Thoms is currently offline Karsten ThomsFriend

The error message usually indicates that there is a source folder in .classpath which is physically not there or not synched with the workspace. So no idea what went wrong if you say that the folder was really there. build.properties has nothing to do with that.
It is unusual that you had to remove Eclipse metadata. As they are restored with import I suppose you are using Gradle and Buildship. In that case you usually have a parent project that you would import which imports also all the subprojects.
Re: [Xcore] Project does not build anymore after git clean -fdx [message #1754948 is a reply to message #1754947] Fri, 24 February 2017 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, I am not using any build system currently for my Eclipse stuff. I split that in half - I do everything that has nothing to do with GUI in an SBT project I import via the sbt Eclipse plugin, and I have a second folder with my Eclipse stuff. I am using p2-maven-plugin to convert my SBT stuff to a P2 site and use it this way.

But speaking of Gradle, is there a go-to solution for a modern CI-supporting build of an Eclipse RCP-based application? I read a lot about Maven Tycho but this looks quite painful and the P2 dependency system seems to be very "shoehorned" into Maven's POM system. For SBT, there is nothing adequate - sbt-tycho is dead. Last resort would be the old PDE build and Ant but I have quite horrible memories of that either.

So is there something "more usable"?
Re: [Xcore] Project does not build anymore after git clean -fdx [message #1754949 is a reply to message #1754947] Fri, 24 February 2017 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Perhaps if you put a .gitignore in the src folder that itself shouldn't be deleted then doing this clean thing this it won't delete the folder itself. (And it does sound like some source folder is being deleted; this error message sounds like a Java error message, not something specific to Xcore).

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: [Xcore] Project does not build anymore after git clean -fdx [message #1754950 is a reply to message #1754949] Fri, 24 February 2017 12:24 Go to previous message
This actually makes sense. I added empty .gitignore files to the src folders of my Xcore projects now, I'll see what happens when I clean it the next time.
Previous Topic:[EMFForms] Support for Nebula's GeoMap widget
Next Topic:[Xcore] Generate code in Tycho build
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 02:50:16 GMT 2024