Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Platform changes not persisted on Mac OS X Sierra 10.12.3
Platform changes not persisted on Mac OS X Sierra 10.12.3 [message #1754207] Wed, 15 February 2017 10:25 Go to next message
Klaas Gadeyne is currently offline Klaas GadeyneFriend
Recently I upgraded my Mac OS X to 10.12.3 (from 10.12.2). Since then (?), a bunch of weird things seems to be going on when I try to use eclipse Neon (tested with Neon.1 and Neon.2 modeling, and RCPs based on those).

1. Eclipse doesn't save the previous settings like workspace & Plug-ins (see also http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41682563/eclipse-doesnt-save-the-previous-settings-like-workspace-plug-ins, although the suggested answers over there don't solve the problem for me.

Observations: It seems like every time a new folder is created in the ~/.eclipse folder whenever I start up eclipse. In the case below, I just startup eclipse, accept the default workspace, and close it again. But the observations are exactly the same when I install new plugins.

~/Applications $ ls -l ~/.eclipse | wc -l
    ~/Applications $  open Eclipse-modeling-neon-2.app/
    ~/Applications $  ls -l ~/.eclipse | wc -l
    ~/Applications $  open Eclipse-modeling-neon-2.app/
    ~/Applications $  ls -l ~/.eclipse | wc -l
    ~/Applications $ ls -lt ~/.eclipse | head -n 4
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x  6 kgad  staff  204 Feb 15 11:04 org.eclipse.platform_4.6.2_923244962_macosx_cocoa_x86_64
    drwxr-xr-x  5 kgad  staff  170 Feb 15 11:04 org.eclipse.oomph.p2
    drwxr-xr-x  6 kgad  staff  204 Feb 15 11:02 org.eclipse.platform_4.6.2_34968522_macosx_cocoa_x86_64

2. (possibly a consequence of 1/?) When trying to develop new plugins, only dependencies that natively come with the RCP are found by the builder, the plugins that I installed manually are *not* found. I noticed that the plugins that come natively with the RCP are to be found in a subfolder of /var/private/, while the manually installed plugins (such as the missing dependency org.eclipse.papyrus.sysml14 in the screenshot below) end up in the above ~/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_4.6.2_UUID_macosx_cocoa_x86_64/plugin folder. See screenshot below.

index.php/fa/28478/0/

Anyone has a clue on what goes wrong, or on how to debug this? TIA!
Re: Platform changes not persisted on Mac OS X Sierra 10.12.3 [message #1754564 is a reply to message #1754207] Mon, 20 February 2017 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After some more testing, I discovered that the occurrence of the problems depends on the way of downloading eclipse

See below screenshot of eclipse.org

index.php/fa/28534/0/

When I use the default link "DOWNLOAD 64 BIT" and I start from the eclipse-inst-mac64.tar.gz, all plugins end up in ~/.p2/pool/plugins and everything seems to work 'just fine'

However, when I use the "Download Packages" link [*], and hence start for instance from eclipse-modeling-neon-2-macosx-cocoa-x86_64.tar.gz, the plugins end up in locations as described in the above post, which leads to the aforementioned errors.

Can anyone tell me if this difference is intended, or if I should consider the discrepancy in behaviour between the two ways of downloading as a bug?

[*] My default approach (legacy? Smile

Re: Platform changes not persisted on Mac OS X Sierra 10.12.3 [message #1754574 is a reply to message #1754564] Mon, 20 February 2017 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I'm not a regular Mac user, so I'm no expert on all the various funky things that can go wrong on the Mac. What you describe sounds like this problem:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=507328

I.e., some funky behavior of the Mac that kicks in if you don't move the downloaded package to somewhere else.

In terms of the disk layout, the installer, by default, uses a shared bundle pool at the default location you discovered. If you create multiple installations, the pool will have the sum total of all the required bundles and they'll be shared across installation. this of course saves significant diskspace and makes creating new installations much faster because you don't repeatedly download the same bundles. But you can disable/control that via the menu of the installer to produce the same layout as you see in the download packages (where the installation is co-located with its unshared bundle pool).

I think your problem is this Gatekeeper Path Randomization feature (that's apparently provided for your safety and comfort)...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Platform changes not persisted on Mac OS X Sierra 10.12.3 [message #1754584 is a reply to message #1754574] Mon, 20 February 2017 14:52 Go to previous message
Confirmed. Thanks Ed!

Since I suspect that quite some Mac users will be confronted with this any time soon: Another workaround suggested in the bug reports is not to start the .App container but directly the eclipse executable.
Previous Topic:Keyboard shortcut to cut line
Next Topic:Eclipse Mars and Linux Fedora 25
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 07:30:59 GMT 2024