Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » CDT: Empty paths in "Includes" entry within "Project Explorer" view(Added include paths in C/C++ General->Paths and Symbols show up empty)
CDT: Empty paths in "Includes" entry within "Project Explorer" view [message #1752156] Thu, 19 January 2017 09:55 Go to next message
Corneliu Zuzu is currently offline Corneliu ZuzuFriend
index.php/fa/28163/0/

Hello. First off, let me define the context.

I'm using Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers, Neon version (4.6.0) having build id: 20160613-1800. CDT version is the latest @ this moment - 9.2.0 (9.2.0.201612061315) - note that I've actually updated to that from 9.0.1 (9.0.1.201607151550) in hope that the below described issue has been resolved, but it still manifests.

Now for the details of the problem.

I'm having a C/C++ project for which I'm adding include paths (for the indexer to 'see') under C/C++ General ->Paths and Symbols -> Includes tab. Opening the Project Explorer view I can see those were added by looking under the "Includes" entry under my project - BUT they appear empty - cannot be expanded as if they contained no header files (*.h). More over, the actual problem is that the indexer behaves in the same manner, as if those files don't exist.
Note that this manifests for all projects. but for a few specific directories on my PC the files are correctly listed. Those directories are those of my installed stm32 toolchain, e.g. this one works: "C:\STM32Toolchain\gnu-arm\5.4-2016q2\arm-none-eabi\include".
Note also that I remember having had this problem a while ago, but I think I solved it with a few Eclipse restarts, so I didn't bother trying to figure out what was happening. Now it seems it's constantly there no matter what I do.

And finally, for what I've tried.

Tried rebuilding the index, manually deleting all *.pdom files within the .metadata folder, manually deleting all files that reference my include paths inside the .metadata folder, manually deleting workspace.xmi.
Tried moving the includes setting to Preprocessor Include Paths -> GNU {C,C++} -> CDT User Setting Entries.
Tried deleting all include paths and adding just one which I've relocated in different places of my HDD (even on other drives).

Has anyone else encountered this issue?
I've attached a screenshot of the Project Explorer view.

Thank you,
Corneliu.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 January 2017 19:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: CDT: Empty paths in "Includes" entry within "Project Explorer" view [message #1752204 is a reply to message #1752156] Thu, 19 January 2017 20:53 Go to previous message
David VavraFriend
Project view does that. I don't know why. It has nothing to do with Indexer operation as far as I can tell.
I'm having no Indexer problems with this project but do have empty include folders in Project View.
index.php/fa/28171/0/

You could try using the Include Browser if you are interested
http://help.eclipse.org/neon/topic/org.eclipse.cdt.doc.user/reference/cdt_u_include_browser_view.htm?cp=8_4_0_14

Note that a question mark will appear in the margin for files the Indexer can't find.
index.php/fa/28172/0/

The usual reason with Indexer failure often seems to be incorrect preprocessor macro definitions. The indexer doesn't always handle conditional code as expected. What you can do is to open the file containing the definition to see if the code is inactive. If it is, then you can narrow your search to determining why.

Not the only thing that can cause problems, unfortunately.
There are a lot of links found when searching for Indexer failures.
Here's one of many: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=556834&goto=1152638&#msg_1152638
Another: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=642157&goto=1239906&#msg_1239906

These problems can be difficult to resolve even with full access to the code.
You can generate a parser log which may help in tracking down the issue.
http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ#How_can_I_generate_the_parser_log_file.3F
I would start with it.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 January 2017 21:31]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Visual Studio toolchain in Eclipse for C++
Next Topic:Build Project fails with ERROR 258
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 03:35:01 GMT 2024