Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » The PATH environment variable(I omitted setting the PATH environment variable)
The PATH environment variable [message #1750614] Fri, 23 December 2016 10:36 Go to next message
Ricky Robert is currently offline Ricky RobertFriend
So I was trying to install eclipse on my new PC.

As the whole installation procedure seemed complicated to me (gotta install java and java SE dev kit first right?), i followed a tuto on youtube but that guy didn't set up the PATH environment variable.

So i didn't either (win10, eclipse neon 2).

I ran a simple program to test, it did work perfectly.

But then I remembered setting env variable on my old PC...

So my question is:
- If this step was necessary for eclipse to fonction, why Eclipse Neon 2 works perfectly without the env variable being set?
- And if i setup the variable now, does it change anything? will i get bugs in the future?

PS: i'm not a professional developper, just self-learning java and C++ so i don't write code for apps, for now Smile

Just a simple question, thanks in advance and merry Xmas everyone / happy new year Smile
Re: The PATH environment variable [message #1750727 is a reply to message #1750614] Tue, 27 December 2016 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
If you use the Eclipse Installer, it detects all the JDKs/JREs on your system. It will check that you have an appropriate version and will ensure that the installation uses it, regardless of what's on your PATH.

In any case, if your installation is working If it's working already for you, the JRE on your PATH must be an appropriate one so don't worry.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: The PATH environment variable [message #1759720 is a reply to message #1750727] Mon, 17 April 2017 14:24 Go to previous message
Ricky Robert is currently offline Ricky RobertFriend
Smile Smile Smile thank you very much !!
Previous Topic:The Java JAR file "stdlib-package.jar" could not be launched.
Next Topic:tomcat stop working
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 06:41:11 GMT 2024