Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Unable to set breakpoints without restarting application during debug
Unable to set breakpoints without restarting application during debug [message #1749702] Fri, 09 December 2016 20:45 Go to next message
Kevin Smith is currently offline Kevin SmithFriend
How do I add breakpoints so that they become active immediately?

Whenever I try and create breakpoints when starting up a new debug session, I never seem to hit them until the application is restarted, at which point I seem to hit them fine.

Looking closer into this, I see that when I double click on the left margin to set a breakpoint, a blue circle with a check mark next to it appears, but then a half-second later, the check mark disappears and only the blue circle remains. I see similar behavior in the Breakpoints tab. A new breakpoint shows up, and there is a check in the checkbox to the left, but after that is the same blue circle with a check mark next to it that disappears almost immediately, followed by the name of the file and the line number. Once I terminate and restart the application, I get a check mark next to all the circles and I can hit my existing breakpoints, but I continue to not be able to add and hit new active breakpoints, which makes debug very frustrating.

See the screenshot below for an example. I created the first breakpoint in the list during a previous run of my application and can hit it during this run, and created the second breakpoint during the current run but won't be able to hit it this run.

index.php/fa/27823/0/

Running Version: 3.8.1 (included by default in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS)
Re: Unable to set breakpoints without restarting application during debug [message #1749727 is a reply to message #1749702] Sat, 10 December 2016 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
I am pretty sure I recongnize that problem, but I can't find the bug number in Bugzilla at the moment.

I recommend you try getting Eclipse C/C++ dev tools from Eclipse.org, using Neon.1 aka 4.6.1 which includes a newer CDT. It can be installed independently.

64-bit: http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/technology/epp/downloads/release/neon/1a/eclipse-cpp-neon-1a-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz

32-bit: http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/technology/epp/downloads/release/neon/1a/eclipse-cpp-neon-1a-linux-gtk.tar.gz

Let us know how you get on, especially if you still have problems.

HTH
Jonah

[Updated on: Sat, 10 December 2016 10:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Unable to set breakpoints without restarting application during debug [message #1848310 is a reply to message #1749702] Sat, 27 November 2021 14:10 Go to previous message
Gianluca Sorrentino is currently offline Gianluca SorrentinoFriend
Hi all,
i'm having the same exact problem today with last Eclipse build and Debian 11.
Breakpoints work fine if set before starting the application but they cause the application to be terminated (SIGINT(2)) if added while already debugging...

It seems to be possible related to this other really old 'new' bug report: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=460598

Any hint why the process is interrupted with SIGINT by Eclipse?

Thanks
Previous Topic:Debugger Launch Timeout
Next Topic:Add library paths on Eclipse IDE C/C++ 4.20.0
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:55:38 GMT 2024