Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Epsilon » Running a basic example(Explanation needed for the documentation)
Running a basic example [message #1748903] Tue, 29 November 2016 22:39 Go to next message
John Dawes is currently offline John DawesFriend
I am trying to use the products of Epsilon (ETL, EOL etc.) following the examples given in the website and having some issues in running the examples. There is a"Get it!" tab in these examples and following the instruction provided there, I cloned Epsilon's git repository. Now, following the instructions, I tried to navigate to trunk/examples; but, even though I can see a number of example files, there is nothing with 'trunk/'.

Then, according to the instructions, I should import two projects: one with the metamodels project and other one is specific to a project. Now my question is, where should I import these projects? Should I create a general Eclipse project first to import these ones?

Also, for example, in the Flowcchart-to-HTML transformation example, according to the instructions, "right click the .launch file in the org.eclipse.epsilon.examples.egl.flowchart project". There is a number of .launch file exist in this project. Which one should I use to right click?

Re: Running a basic example [message #1748907 is a reply to message #1748903] Wed, 30 November 2016 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dimitris Kolovos is currently offline Dimitris KolovosFriend

Hi John,

> Now, following the instructions, I tried to navigate to trunk/examples; but, even though I can see a number of example files, there is nothing with 'trunk/'.

This was left over from the SVN era. I've fixed this now.

> Now my question is, where should I import these projects?

See http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/Eclipse/article.html#importing-projects for instructions on how to import projects in Eclipse.

> There is a number of .launch file exist in this project. Which one should I use to right click?

There are actually several examples in this project. Each .launch file corresponds to the .egl template next to it.

Cheers,
Dimitris

Re: Running a basic example [message #1748909 is a reply to message #1748907] Wed, 30 November 2016 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Dimitris,

Thanks for the response. I am not sure if I am doing anything wrong, but I am having some errors in my eclipse project after cloning the git repository: git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/epsilon/org.eclipse.epsilon.git. Please find the attached screenshot for a compact view of the errors. I also tried to run the .launch file for one of the examples (oo2db), but the console output only shows "Running ETL". Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong here. Also, if you have a video uploaded anywhere showing the entire process for a beginner, please post the link here.

Thanks,

John

Re: Running a basic example [message #1748938 is a reply to message #1748909] Wed, 30 November 2016 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dimitris Kolovos is currently offline Dimitris KolovosFriend

Hi John,

You only need to import projects under /examples if you don't intend to run Epsilon from source (e.g. if you have downloaded a pre-built Epsilon distribution or you've installed Epsilon through the Eclipse Marketplace or one of its update sites). The behaviour you're encountering with the ETL transformation sounds right; the message is due to the println() statement on line 2 (ETL does not produce any start/end messages by default). After executing oo2db.etl you should also find that a DBInstance.model model under org.eclipse.epsilon.examples.oo2db/models, which is the outcome of the transformation.

Cheers,
Dimitris
Re: Running a basic example [message #1749002 is a reply to message #1748938] Wed, 30 November 2016 23:20 Go to previous message
Dimitris Kolovos wrote on Wed, 30 November 2016 09:51
Hi John,

You only need to import projects under /examples if you don't intend to run Epsilon from source (e.g. if you have downloaded a pre-built Epsilon distribution or you've installed Epsilon through the Eclipse Marketplace or one of its update sites). The behaviour you're encountering with the ETL transformation sounds right; the message is due to the println() statement on line 2 (ETL does not produce any start/end messages by default). After executing oo2db.etl you should also find that a DBInstance.model model under org.eclipse.epsilon.examples.oo2db/models, which is the outcome of the transformation.

Cheers,
Dimitris

Okay, now I understand. Thanks for your help!

John
Previous Topic:ho
Next Topic:Epsilon Comparison language
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 21:12:43 GMT 2024