Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Upgrade Mars 32-bit to Neon 64-bit
Upgrade Mars 32-bit to Neon 64-bit [message #1746842] Sat, 05 November 2016 15:22 Go to next message
Kenton Smith is currently offline Kenton SmithFriend
Good morning:

I'd like to upgrade an existing 32-bit Mars installation to 64-bit. Neon. Before I shoot myself in the foot, I thought I'd ask whether there are any special considerations when making such an upgrade. Is there anything special I need to do? I've already downloaded and installed the required Java JRE.

Oh... I'm running 64-bit Windows 7.

Thanks!
Kenton
Re: Upgrade Mars 32-bit to Neon 64-bit [message #1746929 is a reply to message #1746842] Mon, 07 November 2016 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

1) Back up your Workspace.
2) Do not install or unpack Neon directly over Mars.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Upgrade Mars 32-bit to Neon 64-bit [message #1746932 is a reply to message #1746929] Mon, 07 November 2016 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks very much for your reply.

I intend to use the Windows Installer, which by default would install Neon to c:\Program Files . Mars is currently installed under c:\Program Files (x86).

By "Do not install or unpack Neon directly over Mars" do you mean I should uninstall Mars before installing Neon? Will I lose any settings other than any that might be in any of my backed-up workspaces?

Thanks!

Nitin Dahyabhai wrote on Mon, 07 November 2016 13:43

1) Back up your Workspace.
2) Do not install or unpack Neon directly over Mars.

Re: Upgrade Mars 32-bit to Neon 64-bit [message #1747043 is a reply to message #1746932] Tue, 08 November 2016 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Using the installer should be safe, I'm pretty sure it will never try to overlay a new installation on top of an existing (which is what Nitin was cautioning against).
Almost all settings/preferences are stored in the workspace(s), so you should be able to open your existing workspace(s) created with Mars with no problem. Keep in mind that if you had installed any extra plugins or features into Mars, those won't be automatically present in the new Neon installation; you'll have to install them.
Re: Upgrade Mars 32-bit to Neon 64-bit [message #1747340 is a reply to message #1747043] Sat, 12 November 2016 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, Eric, for your very complete and very informative reply! I have successfully installed the Neon release.

One of the things I had failed to notice is that the Eclipse installation directory name includes the Eclipse release, thus each Eclipse installation is self-contained within its directory. And since Eclipse stores no Windows Registry and/or ProgramData entries, it is OK to simply remove the obsolete installation directory. Which I did.

Moreover, as Nitin implied, Neon converts Mars workspaces to a new format, hence the recommendation to save Mars workspaces before upgrading. Which I did.

Thanks also for the heads up regarding the need to reinstall plugins. That prompted me to check which ones I had installed and to verify that versions were available for Neon. Which I did. Wink

Best,
Kenton
Re: Upgrade Mars 32-bit to Neon 64-bit [message #1748540 is a reply to message #1747340] Thu, 24 November 2016 08:22 Go to previous message
abon son is currently offline abon sonFriend
Kenton Smith wrote on Sat, 12 November 2016 15:31
Thanks, Eric, for your very complete and very informative reply! I have successfully installed the Neon release.

One of the things I had failed to notice is that the Eclipse installation directory name includes the Eclipse release, thus each Eclipse installation is self-contained within its directory. And since Eclipse stores no Windows Registry and/or ProgramData entries, it is OK to simply remove the obsolete installation directory. Which I did.

Moreover, as Nitin implied, Neon converts Mars workspaces to a new format, hence the recommendation to save Mars workspaces before upgrading. Which I did.

Thanks also for the heads up regarding the need to reinstall plugins. That prompted me to check which ones I had installed and to verify that versions were available for Neon. Which I did. Wink

Best,
Kenton

Thanks for your advise.
Previous Topic:Jetty 9.3.14 Websocket CLOSED_ABNORMALLY Read EOF
Next Topic:Set up Issue with Pvdev
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 00:28:52 GMT 2024