Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Sirius » Sub Node vs. Bordered Node
Sub Node vs. Bordered Node [message #1743648] Sun, 18 September 2016 04:54 Go to next message
Emil Jenotte is currently offline Emil JenotteFriend
Hello,

is there a semantical difference between a Sub Node and a Bordered Node of a container?

Lets say, in my EMF meta model, Class "OneContainer" has a containment realtionship [0..*] with Class "OneElement". Is it correct, that when I choose in Sirius between modelling "OneElement" as a Sub Node and a Bordered Node - the only difference is the representation inside the container or on its border?

Or should Bordered Nodes only be used for non-containment node mappings?

Cheers
Emil

Re: Sub Node vs. Bordered Node [message #1743754 is a reply to message #1743648] Mon, 19 September 2016 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pierre-Charles David is currently offline Pierre-Charles DavidFriend
Hi.

The difference is only graphical. You can have one or the other, or both, and the choice is completely decorelated from the actual containment structure of your semantic model. It is purely a notation choice for you to make, depending on how you want you diagrams to look. You can chose to represent as sub-nodes inside a container elements which are not "physically" contained inside the semantic element the container represents, and vice versa.

Regards,
Pierre-Charles

--
Need training or professional services for Sirius?
http://www.obeodesigner.com/sirius

Pierre-Charles David - Obeo

Re: Sub Node vs. Bordered Node [message #1743954 is a reply to message #1743754] Wed, 21 September 2016 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Pierre-Charles,

thank you for this information.

Cheers
Emil
Re: Sub Node vs. Bordered Node [message #1744400 is a reply to message #1743954] Mon, 26 September 2016 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,

another question about that:
If I have my container element "OneContainer" in my EMF meta model, that contains "CointainedElement" - but then I represent "OneContainer" in Sirius as a NODE (and not as a container, because I want the representation styles of a node as the ones from containers are very limited) - and then I just add the contained element "ContainedElement" as BORDERED NODE:

Is that very bad habit? So should EMF containers always be modeled as containers in Sirius?

Cheers
Emil

Re: Sub Node vs. Bordered Node [message #1744451 is a reply to message #1744400] Tue, 27 September 2016 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pierre-Charles David is currently offline Pierre-Charles DavidFriend
It's not a "bad habit", it really all depends on what you want your graphical representation to look like. Sirius does not care about the containment structure of your semantic model. Indeed, one of the selling points of Sirius is its complete flexibility in this area; it's the whole point of the computed semanticCandidateExpressions. You can have any number of ways to represent the same underlying model, depending on the purpose of each diagram/representation. Some will have a graphical structure which closely matches the actual "physical" structure of the model; some will show completely different points of view (projections, if you want) of the same data. So don't worry about "misusing" this power Smile Design your diagrams according to their purpose from their target user's point of view, not necessarily according to the technical details of how the data model was implemented.

Regards,
Pierre-Charles

Pierre-Charles David - Obeo

Re: Sub Node vs. Bordered Node [message #1744808 is a reply to message #1744451] Fri, 30 September 2016 10:45 Go to previous message
Hello Pierre-Charles,

thank you very much for your answer and explanation. Much appreciated!
That makes it clear for me now Smile

Cheers
Emil
Previous Topic:Can't access to a reference in Sirius
Next Topic:[Properties View] How to access a text fields value
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:18:19 GMT 2024