Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Using Xtext as a textual concrete syntax tool(How to generate a language toolset (parser and grammer) from an Ecore metamodel)
Using Xtext as a textual concrete syntax tool [message #1743493] Thu, 15 September 2016 23:13 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hello,

I used Xtext a long time ago for generating a textual language as a first step. This time, I want to follow a different working approach.

As the first step, I want to define a metamodel as an ECore model. Then, using Xtext, I want to define a textual syntax for this metamodel. Please note that, the .ecore model (metamodel) exists before the grammar in this case. The .ecore model is NOT generated from the textual syntax/grammar.

At the end, since I have a defined textual syntax/grammar for my metadodel, I wish to have an automatically generated parser, that can be called through a Java application.

In other words, I will give a textual file input that is basically an instance of this textual language to my Java program that can use the automatically generated parser. Then, I will get an instance of my ECore model (metamodel) at the end.

Could you guide me for this?

Thank you.

Re: Using Xtext as a textual concrete syntax tool [message #1743498 is a reply to message #1743493] Fri, 16 September 2016 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Neeraj Bhusare is currently offline Neeraj BhusareFriend
Hi Bugar,

The latest Xtext wizard allows you to select an "existing ecore" model and generates the grammar for your language. Please see - File -> New -> Xtext -> Xtext Project From Existing Ecore model. Once you have the grammar, you can generate rest of the infrastructure code using - Generate Xtext Artifacts.

The following link should help you with loading the serialized model in your Java program - https://wiki.eclipse.org/Xtext/FAQ#How_do_I_load_my_model_in_a_standalone_Java_application.C2.A0.3F

Hope this helps.

Tx

Twitter : @NeerajBhusare
Blog : https://nbhusare.github.io/
Best regards, Neeraj

[Updated on: Fri, 16 September 2016 03:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Using Xtext as a textual concrete syntax tool [message #1743523 is a reply to message #1743498] Fri, 16 September 2016 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Koehnlein is currently offline Jan KoehnleinFriend
Browse the documentation for 'EPackage Import' and 'Integration with EMF'

---
Get professional support from the Xtext committers at www.typefox.io
Re: Using Xtext as a textual concrete syntax tool [message #1743529 is a reply to message #1743523] Fri, 16 September 2016 08:48 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Thanks a lot for the help. I will check it out and come back soon if I need any further help Smile.
Previous Topic:Split grammar based text into 2 editors
Next Topic:Accessing java annotations using Xtext/XBase
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 18:40:20 GMT 2024