Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » Neon Modeling Tools | No ecore_diagram
Neon Modeling Tools | No ecore_diagram [message #1743290] Wed, 14 September 2016 05:54 Go to next message
Xi Ng is currently offline Xi NgFriend
Hello,

I just installed the Neon Modeling Tools. Then I opened with Neon my workspace, that I originally created in Mars. A dialog opened about the compatibility of the Mars and Neon. I clicked ok. (If the information is necessary: I did not delete Mars Modeling Tools)

The problem in Neon is, that my ".ecore_diagram" file is not presented as a diagram, but as a XML file.
When I click on my folder model > New > Other > (and look for Ecore Diagram) the option of choosing Ecore Diagram does not show up.
When I enter Help>Eclipse Marketplace, it marks EcoreTools: Ecore Diagram Editor 3.1 as installed. At Help>Installation Detailles, it also says Ecore Diagram Editor is installed.

What am I missing, any ideas? I would really appreciate it!
Thank you,
Xing
Re: Neon Modeling Tools | No ecore_diagram [message #1743295 is a reply to message #1743290] Wed, 14 September 2016 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently online Ed MerksFriend
The latest version of Ecore tools used *.aird files. I'm not sure they support the older format; I expect not. You'd need to install a much older version of Ecore Tools to support that older format.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Neon Modeling Tools | No ecore_diagram [message #1743304 is a reply to message #1743295] Wed, 14 September 2016 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Emil Jenotte is currently offline Emil JenotteFriend
Hey,

thank you for the fast reply.

But I tried to just start a new project in a new workspace, to see if ecore_diagrams works - independently from my old project.

So I just simply started and empty project by:
1. New>Other>Empty EMF Project (something.net)
2. Clicking on the model folder: New>Other> (then I try to search for Ecore Diagram, but it is not there)

Please see attached a screenshot.

Re: Neon Modeling Tools | No ecore_diagram [message #1743321 is a reply to message #1743295] Wed, 14 September 2016 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Caution: While the Sirius-based Ecore Tools replacement was in a rather preliminary state, I tried installing the old Ecore Tools. Because of the dependencies on GEF, you will find that if you really want to use your *.ecore_diagram files, you need to go back to IIRC Eclipse 4.3 and lose all the other good things that have happened since. Hard.

Sirius is no longer in a preliminary state, so I recommend migrating and contributing to making the new Ecore Tools even better. If there is no old-to-new M2M and you have many diagrams, an M2M shouldn't be that hard; please contribute one to the community.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Neon Modeling Tools | No ecore_diagram [message #1743370 is a reply to message #1743321] Wed, 14 September 2016 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you read the documentation? It's all quite different now...

Ed Merks
Re: Neon Modeling Tools | No ecore_diagram [message #1743621 is a reply to message #1743370] Sat, 17 September 2016 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xi Ng is currently offline Xi NgFriend
Hello Ed,

thank you for your answer.
I hadn't checked all the differences that the new Ecore Tools have.
But now its fine, I just built a new representation.
Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Xing
Re: Neon Modeling Tools | No ecore_diagram [message #1743624 is a reply to message #1743621] Sat, 17 September 2016 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, the new tool is significantly better than the old one. There are quite a few new things to learn to use it effectively, but we've used it for the EMF models in Oomph and it makes really nice diagrams for sure.

Ed Merks
Re: Neon Modeling Tools | No ecore_diagram [message #1819615 is a reply to message #1743624] Sat, 18 January 2020 13:40 Go to previous message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

The new Sirius-based Ecore Tools is certainly current and much prettier, but its determination to make me fight with Perspectives and View point selections before bundling everything up in *.aird file before I can do anything has driven me to distraction.

In contrast the old Ecore Tools had a simple *.ecore completed by a *.ecorediagram per sheet, each created by the Initilalize Ecore Diagram menu entry. A delight.

My use case, is that
- as a developer I find Sirius imposes too much baggage and so I use the Sample Ecore Model Editor for almost all my Ecore development. Occasionally OCLinEcore.
- as a contributor to various conferences I write papers in which I want a nice diagram of my latest example Ecore metamodel

So I develop a small (often very small) example *.ecore and then want to draw a picture. The old Ecore Tools did that very adequately.

For my latest paper, I decided that the time has come to try and resurrect the old Ecore Tools, which is what you need anyway to view any org.eclipse.emf.ecore/model/*.ecorediagram.

Installing Ecore Tools 1.2 on Eclipse 4.3.1 did not allow *.ecorediagrams to be viewed.
Installing 1.1 on Eclipse 4.3.1 did allow *.ecorediagrams to be viewed, but did not provide the Initialize Ecore Diagram menu entry.

It appears that "Initialize Ecore Diagram" did not survive the Eclipse 3.x to 4.x transition.

Installing 0.10 on Eclipse 3.6.2 (Helios) (2010) gave 'full' functionality.

NB The org.eclipse.emf.ecore/model/*.ecorediagram were created in 2008, which is therefore perhaps the heyday of the old Ecore Tools. 0.10 is one/two releases later, but seems to predate the evolution that led to the inadequacy of 1.1/1.2

In conclusion. If you want a simple old-style Ecore Tools

Install Java 5
Install Eclipse Helios
Install New Software from the Helios update site to provide at least Ecore Tools. (You almost certainly want all of EMF rather than just the default cherry pick).

(Helios seems to be clever enough to find Java 5 all by itself - no need for any manual -vm path help.)

To co-exist with normal work in a modern Eclipse, import your diagram-containing project into your Helios Ecore Tools workspace (without copying). You should be good to go.

On no account try to install from the Helios update site into a modern Eclipse. I tried with 4.10 (2018-12) resulting in a hang when the 'improved' Eclipse restarts.

Regards

Ed Willink
Previous Topic:couldn't run acceleo project
Next Topic:Error in Genmodel Generation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 06:06:20 GMT 2024