Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Is Eclipse still updatable?(Why does Eclipse have issues to update itself EACH and EVERY time)
Is Eclipse still updatable? [message #1742592] Mon, 05 September 2016 19:55 Go to next message
Michael Moser is currently offline Michael MoserFriend
Preamble: I am an old and dedicated Eclipse user since v2.0 (~2000) and I really loved Eclipse for quite a while. But in recent years I get more and more disappointed and frustrated!

One of the most annoying "features" of the last 2-3 versions is, that I have EACH and EVERY time issues to update Eclipse. It NEVER manages to update itself without version conflicts and issues like this:

An error occurred while collecting items to be installed
session context was:(profile=C__Users_mmo_eclipse_jee-neon_eclipse, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Collect, operand=, action=).
No repository found containing: osgi.bundle,org.eclipse.team.svn,4.0.2.I20160902-1700
No repository found containing: osgi.bundle,org.eclipse.team.svn.core,4.0.2.I20160902-1700
No repository found containing: osgi.bundle,org.eclipse.team.svn.help,4.0.2.I20160902-1700
No repository found containing: osgi.bundle,org.eclipse.team.svn.ui,4.0.2.I20160902-1700
No repository found containing: org.eclipse.update.feature,org.eclipse.team.svn,4.0.2.I20160902-1700

What's the sense of train-releases and using OSGi and having a registry, bundle manager, download sites manager and what not, if already two month after installing a last version it is impossible to update it?!
Do I now have to remove and re-install this things AGAIN? Sad
Re: Is Eclipse still updatable? [message #1742621 is a reply to message #1742592] Tue, 06 September 2016 08:11 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Is the update site from which you installed SVN listed and check marked in Window -> Preferences -> Install/Update -> Available Software Sites?

Using Oomph's repository explorer it looks like this particular version comes from http://download.eclipse.org/technology/subversive/4.0/neon-site.

Note that on Tuesday at 10:00AM all running Eclipse instances in a given time zone will simultaneously check for updates. This pretty much guarantees that the download server will get overloaded and will timeout:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=498116

So perhaps you're just running into that unfortunate problem and you'll be able to update in a few hours or tomorrow.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:news.eclipse.org is shutting down.
Next Topic:debugging xhtml
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 12:34:29 GMT 2024