Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Compare » Relationship between EMF Compare and eclipse Compare(Relationship between EMF Compare and eclipse Compare)
Relationship between EMF Compare and eclipse Compare [message #1741387] Wed, 24 August 2016 15:27 Go to next message
Conor O'Mahony is currently offline Conor O'MahonyFriend
Hi,

We have an RCP application that currently uses eclipse compare, where we extend org.eclipse.compare.CompareEditorInput to compare two inputs and use CompareUI to launch a compare editor.

In a sub project of this application, we are looking at using EMF Compare, to compare instances of EMF models. I can launch the default EMF compare editor by following this guide, where I pass an instance of org.eclipse.emf.compare.ide.ui.internal.editor.ComparisonEditorInput to be launched by CompareUI, and this opens the EMF compare editor.

What I am wondering is, what in particular is the relationship (if any) between the differences that are calculated by eclipse compare and the differences calculated by EMF compare?
In eclipse compare we have org.eclipse.compare.structuremergeviewer.DiffNode as the result of a computed difference, and in EMF compare we have the org.eclipse.emf.compare.Diff interface and associated classes. Is there any mechanism for adapting one type of calculated difference to the other?

Many thanks,
Conor
Re: Relationship between EMF Compare and eclipse Compare [message #1741456 is a reply to message #1741387] Thu, 25 August 2016 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Philip Langer is currently offline Philip LangerFriend

Hi Conor,

On the level of the computed differences, there is no relationship between eclipse.compare and EMF Compare. EMF Compare uses its own model to represent the results of a comparison (matches, differences, conflicts, ..., cf. /org.eclipse.emf.compare/model/compare.ecore), which are then shown in the UI using specific implementations of the structure merge viewer and content merge viewer.

The relationship between eclipse.compare and EMF Compare is mainly that EMF Compare implements its own structure and content merge viewers to show the results of a model comparison accordingly.

I hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Philip

--
Philip Langer

Get professional Eclipse developer support:
http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/
Re: Relationship between EMF Compare and eclipse Compare [message #1742086 is a reply to message #1741456] Wed, 31 August 2016 09:55 Go to previous message
Conor O'Mahony is currently offline Conor O'MahonyFriend
Hi Philip,

Thanks for your reply, that looks to be in line with what I was thinking.

Many thanks,
Conor
Previous Topic:EMFCompare and RAP UI
Next Topic:EMF Compare 3.2 compatibility
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 10:15:20 GMT 2024