Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Epsilon » Splitting ETL into several modules
Splitting ETL into several modules [message #1738264] Mon, 18 July 2016 14:08 Go to next message
crothy donald is currently offline crothy donaldFriend
Hi,

my ETL consists of different logical parts, some of this parts (ETL) beeing generated. Presviously, I had everything into one *.etl transformation file and everything worked.

When I split my etl into several etl's and integrated them with the import statement, i got many runtime errors.

There seems be some limitations here, but I couldn't found any hints in the epsilon book.
I thought that any etl can define its own pre block, but the pre block in the imported etl's is not interpreted.

My primary motivation for spliting the ETL is to separate generated from "hand coded" ETL code. I know that epsilon has a template & merge engine, but after ETL & Validation i didn't want to jump again into a new topic. That's why, the generation of ETL is plain old java code (for the moment).

What would be the best approach to my problem.

Thanks,
Christian

[Updated on: Mon, 18 July 2016 14:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Splitting ETL into several modules [message #1738355 is a reply to message #1738264] Tue, 19 July 2016 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dimitris Kolovos is currently offline Dimitris KolovosFriend

Hi Christian,

Splitting ETL transformations over multiple files shouldn't be a problem at all. Off the top of my head, my guess is that your rules implicitly rely on a particular execution order (e.g. common if you're querying the target model), and splitting your transformation across different files has changed this order.

Cheers,
Dimitris
Re: Splitting ETL into several modules [message #1738408 is a reply to message #1738355] Tue, 19 July 2016 13:35 Go to previous message
crothy donald is currently offline crothy donaldFriend
Thanks,

yes, you have right. Due to the execution order of the rules, my ETL has a different behaviour when using imports or not.
Within a module, the rules are executed in the same order as they are defined in the ETL, right.
When importing moduleB in moduleA, what would be the execution order?
All rules from moduleB and then all rules from moduleA.

I have to re-organize my imports, this should help.
Btw, today i discovered the extended properties by change. Really cool feature! I modified my etl and got rid of plenty of maps...

Regards from Germany,
Christian
Previous Topic:Performance of Epsilon Validation
Next Topic:There is a selectFirst method on ETL?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:57:17 GMT 2024