Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Only Works From Installer [SOLVED](Anyone know what the installer is doing to make eclipse run well?)
Eclipse Only Works From Installer [SOLVED] [message #1736242] Mon, 27 June 2016 19:36 Go to next message
christopher waugh is currently offline christopher waughFriend
I'm on linux, and if I try running the zip file, eclipse runs slower than molasses rolling uphill in the winter Sad . I switch to the Oomph installer, and EUREKA! It works quickly again Smile . Unfortunately, the excitment was short lived. The next time I tried to use eclipse (`~/eclipse/cpp-mars/eclipse/eclipse`), it was slow again Confused . I tried to see what arguments the installer was using, but it appeared to just run `eclipse -vmargs -Duser.dir=/home/kenkron/eclipse/cpp-mars/eclipse`(which, run from terminal, was no better).

I'm using Ubuntu, 64 bit, java 8, Mars C++, etc., but it has to be something with the startup options, right? I mean, otherwise, why would eclipse work every time I reinstall and run from Oomph?

I'm attaching the workspace .log, if that helps
  • Attachment: .log
    (Size: 33.96KB, Downloaded 83 times)

[Updated on: Sat, 02 July 2016 15:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse Only Works From Installer [message #1736307 is a reply to message #1736242] Tue, 28 June 2016 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Most likely this is the result of the Oomph installer using GTK2
(because the eclipse-inst.ini specifies that option) and the processes
it launches inheriting that flag. Try adding these two lines before
the -vmargs in the installation's eclipse.ini:

--launcher.GTK_version

On 28.06.2016 02:29, christopher waugh wrote:
> I'm on linux, and if I try running the zip file, eclipse runs slower than molasses rolling uphill in the winter :( . I switch to the Oomph installer, and EUREKA! It works quickly again :) . Unfortunately, the excitment was short lived. The next time I tried to use eclipse (`~/eclipse/cpp-mars/eclipse/eclipse`), it was slow again :? . I tried to see what arguments the installer was using, but it appeared to just run `eclipse -vmargs -Duser.dir=/home/kenkron/eclipse/cpp-mars/eclipse`(which, run from terminal, was no better).
>
> I'm using Ubuntu, 64 bit, java 8, Mars C++, etc., but it has to be something with the startup options, right? I mean, otherwise, why would eclipse work every time I reinstall and run from Oomph?
>
> I'm attaching the workspace .log, if that helps

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse Only Works From Installer [message #1736837 is a reply to message #1736307] Sat, 02 July 2016 15:28 Go to previous message
christopher waugh is currently offline christopher waughFriend
You, my friend, are a true hero! I put those lines in the .ini file, and it works perfectly.

-vm
/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/bin
--launcher.GTK_version
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.7
-Declipse.p2.max.threads=10
Previous Topic:XSD Annotation Cloning
Next Topic:eclipse-jee-mars-R-win32-x86_64
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 02:10:24 GMT 2024