Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Community support on Eclipse versions(What versions of Eclipse are supported by the community forums)
Community support on Eclipse versions [message #1733864] Wed, 01 June 2016 14:24 Go to next message
Arturo Pena is currently offline Arturo PenaFriend
I am a newcomer to these forums. I am wondering if there are any guidelines in regards to what versions of Eclipse I can post questions on and get support from the community?

For instance we have Eclipse Helios and some have Eclipse Luna in my company. I am wondering if the community supports questions on those versions or only the latest versions of Eclipse. Thanks.
Re: Community support on Eclipse versions [message #1733871 is a reply to message #1733864] Wed, 01 June 2016 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
You can ask the questions, but no problems specific to Helios or Luna
will get fixed (without some type of paid support contract from Long
Term Support).

On 01.06.2016 16:42, Arturo Pena wrote:
> I am a newcomer to these forums. I am wondering if there are any
> guidelines in regards to what versions of Eclipse I can post questions
> on and get support from the community?
> For instance we have Eclipse Helios and some have Eclipse Luna in my
> company. I am wondering if the community supports questions on those
> versions or only the latest versions of Eclipse. Thanks.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Community support on Eclipse versions [message #1734053 is a reply to message #1733871] Fri, 03 June 2016 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arturo Pena is currently offline Arturo PenaFriend
So what gets fixed then? The latest release only? The last two? How do I find out? Also, how do I report problems w/ a supported version?
Thanks.
Re: Community support on Eclipse versions [message #1734092 is a reply to message #1734053] Fri, 03 June 2016 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I can only point you at this:

https://lts.eclipse.org/

On 03.06.2016 13:29, Arturo Pena wrote:
> So what gets fixed then? The latest release only? The last two? How
> do I find out? Also, how do I report problems w/ a supported version?
> Thanks.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Community support on Eclipse versions [message #1734249 is a reply to message #1734053] Mon, 06 June 2016 14:30 Go to previous message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Arturo Pena wrote on Fri, 03 June 2016 11:29
So what gets fixed then? The latest release only? The last two? How do I find out? Also, how do I report problems w/ a supported version?
Thanks.

Generally (and unofficially) speaking, only the current release branch and the next major release branches are going to get bug fixes. Each project is managed independently, so there can be some variation in that policy and in when releases come. But for most users of Eclipse IDEs, they're mostly concerned with the annual release trains (Eclipse does a major package release every year in June, each with a "friendly" code name). There are also 2 minor updates for each annual release (sometimes called Service Releases (SR1 and SR2).

For example, in June 2016 the Mars release came out, followed by Mars SR1 in September 2015 and Mars SR2 in February 2016. The next major release, in June 2016 will be Neon, with Neon SR1 and SR2 to follow. Basically, before Neon is released, bugs will only be fixed in the Mars SR1 or SR2 releases, and/or in the Neon release. The version previous to Mars, called Luna, did not receive bug fixes after Luna SR2. Similarly, Mars will no longer receive bug fixes since Mars SR2 is already released and Neon is almost at release point.
Once Neon is released, bug fixes will be done for Neon SR1 and SR2, as well as the next major release (code-named Oxygen).

So to put it another way, only the current release and the next release (usually) get bug fixes. If you need something older fixed, do it yourself or go to the LTS site that Ed mentioned.
Previous Topic:New comer with a special need : Definition of the domain Model of Eclipse 4 RCP applications in EMF
Next Topic:Updated Java Now Eclipse Doesnt Open
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 18:40:53 GMT 2024