Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Papyrus Import/Export
Papyrus Import/Export [message #1731506] Fri, 06 May 2016 10:33 Go to next message
arun babu is currently offline arun babuFriend
Hi all,

I wish to import a SysML model not made in Papyrus.

Apart from the XMI format of Papyrus, is it currently possible to import using any other format to Papyrus ?

Or are there any plans to add some compatibility features in future.

Thanks,
Arun
Re: Papyrus Import/Export [message #1732245 is a reply to message #1731506] Fri, 13 May 2016 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Rivet is currently offline Charles RivetFriend

Hi Arun,

First, it is possible to import an XMI file into Papyrus. However...

Import of models from different tools has been a problem since, well, the second modeling tool was created.

XMI was supposed to solve this problem but, commercial proprietary tools being what they are, really saw the need to export their models in a way that competitors could make use of that. A look at the OMG and INCOSE efforts in that direction shows the general lack of interest from most tool vendors.

This has typically resulted, with some notable exceptions, in partially importable models and the loss of any graphical information.

The most common problem when trying to import these models, in my experience, is the difference in namespace definition in the XMI file, where many tools use their own implementation instead of using OMG's. This is then compounded by extensions that tool vendors add to their implementation of UML. So if you feel comfortable hacking XMI, you might get to the point where you have an XMI file that will import in Papyrus.

That being said, there are high-level plans to address this some time in the future. However, and because of what I stated above, this will most likely be "specific tool to Papyrus" translations, most probably targeting at first the most used SysML tools.

/Charles Rivet
Re: Papyrus Import/Export [message #1732336 is a reply to message #1732245] Mon, 16 May 2016 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Charles,

Thank you for your inputs.

I have tried to do something with XMI, but with very little success.

I find it difficult to test the export and see what went wrong. Because eclipse takes quite some time to end up saying "Model is not valid"; also the log messages are not so helpful.

I did find some open-source tools which have SysML export to Papyrus. webgme has one such plugin:

https://github.com/webgme/sysml/tree/master/src/plugins/SysMLExporter

It has templates for each element of SysML.

Regards,
Arun
Re: Papyrus Import/Export [message #1734507 is a reply to message #1732336] Thu, 09 June 2016 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Saurabh Bansal is currently offline Saurabh BansalFriend
I have succesfully imported SySML model in papyrus. Export the model from source in XMI. Then create PAPYRUS model and and replay the uml file of the model with exported xmi file.
Re: Papyrus Import/Export [message #1734520 is a reply to message #1734507] Thu, 09 June 2016 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Saurabh,

The question is how to import models created using *other tools* to papyrus.

Thanks,
Arun

Re: Papyrus Import/Export [message #1851211 is a reply to message #1734520] Wed, 30 March 2022 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
George Ericson is currently offline George EricsonFriend
Hi Arun,
Do you have where to get started advice on how to contribute code to import another tool's XMI file into Papyrus?
Thanks,
George
Re: Papyrus Import/Export [message #1851228 is a reply to message #1851211] Thu, 31 March 2022 11:51 Go to previous message
Patrick Tessier is currently offline Patrick TessierFriend
Hi George,
Which tool do you want to import your XMI file from?
Can you post the xmi file?
Patrick
Previous Topic:Select current GraphicalEditPart
Next Topic:Connector End issue Composite Structure Diagram
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 20:25:48 GMT 2024