Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse can't seem to open new windows(Problem when using features of eclopse)
Eclipse can't seem to open new windows [message #1730749] Thu, 28 April 2016 09:12 Go to next message
Gregory Sims is currently offline Gregory SimsFriend
I installed eclipse (Java EE) through the Oomph installer. Once the install has finished, I click run and everything works as it should. However, if trying to start eclipse in any other manner, it doesn't work as it should. Most of the functions have no effect, i.e. Window->Preferences does not open the preferences window, right clicking a git repo to pull does nothing etc. If I go back to the installer, and use that to re-install and launch, everything works fine again until I close the IDE. How can I get eclipse to work correctly all the time? I assume it's to do with how the installer launches eclipse. The way I am launching after the installer is by using a .desktop with the following contents:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Eclipse
Comment=Eclipse Integrated Development Environment
Icon=/home/gregory/eclipse/jee-mars/eclipse/icon.xpm
Exec=/home/gregory/eclipse/jee-mars/eclipse/eclipse
Terminal=false
Categories=Development;IDE;Java;
StartupWMClass=Eclipse

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 LTE, with eclipse mars.2.

EDIT: After reinstalling my OS, and eclipse, the problem has slightly mutated in that the windows will open, but only when another window is forced to open, for example, if I click Window->Preferences, nothing will happen, but when I try to close eclipse, the pop up for closing comes up along with the preferences window.

EDIT-2: It is now back to the problem it had before, not even bringing up the exit prompt will open the windows.

EDIT-3: I installed eclipse 3.3 as it was bundled with ubuntu, and it worked, but it's hardly ideal.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 April 2016 16:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse can't seem to open new windows [message #1730813 is a reply to message #1730749] Thu, 28 April 2016 16:26 Go to previous message
Gregory Sims is currently offline Gregory SimsFriend
The problem seems to be fixed if I use eclipse neon instead of mars.2
Previous Topic:Problem when selecting project explorer view
Next Topic:XMLBean plugin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 04:21:49 GMT 2024