Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » The starting of ESH(Some simple questions of ESH)
The starting of ESH [message #1729052] Sun, 10 April 2016 11:51 Go to next message
Gary Wang is currently offline Gary WangFriend
Hi, I am a beginner of ESH and English is not my nature language, please forgive my bad sematic and sentences.
First of all, I have to say that I have already read ESH document many times. I know about the concepts of Item, Thing, Event, Binding and even how to use the abstract classes. However, I haven't clearly understood how does ESH or a binding work. Thus I list my questions and problems I encountered in the following.

1. I wish to use ESH framework to help me integrate at least two systems. Let the event bus does the communication for the different systems without any UI.

For example, it is assumed there are two systems: A1 and A2. A1 acquires message M from internet, the thingHandler of A1 use an eventPublisher to publish an event containing M to the event bus. Then an eventSubscriber which has set for subscribing this type of event, receives M and give it to the thingHandler of A2. Thus A2 is able to get M from thingHandler. According to the illustration above, is it possible to do that?

2. I have installed the IDE according to the tutorial from: https://www.eclipse.org/smarthome/documentation/development/ide.html
It tells me run up the ESH runtime at the end. What effect of this step really does?

3. After a binding is created, does it work when I import it into ESH ide and run the runtime?

These are my questions, and I really want to learn well about using this framework. Thank you guys for reading my very simple questions, I know I have to understand it so that I can go ahead. Smile
Re: The starting of ESH [message #1729117 is a reply to message #1729052] Mon, 11 April 2016 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon Kaufmann is currently offline Simon KaufmannFriend
1. The scenario you described is a bit vague. But according to what you described, maybe a message broker would be the more suitable choice. Maybe you want to use something like MQTT directly?

The way you want to implement it technically is possible (sure, at the end it's Java...), but you would not really benefit from the ESH framework.

Typically, in ESH Things provide Channels, which get linked to Items and can be used to read and maybe also write values from/to a specific device. ESH's strength comes from coupling devices, like e.g. if a motion sensor detected some motion (i.e. its "motion" item changed its value), you can define a rule to also switch on the lights in the according room. Such "connections" can be expressed as rule. See https://www.eclipse.org/smarthome/documentation/development/rules/sample.extension.java.html

2. It starts a Java process where the actual program (i.e. Eclipse SmartHome) is running. In the end, you don't only want to look at source code, right? Wink

3. That would be the idea, yes.
Re: The starting of ESH [message #1729158 is a reply to message #1729117] Mon, 11 April 2016 15:01 Go to previous message
Gary Wang is currently offline Gary WangFriend
Hi Simon, thanks for your reply. It help me a lot.

MQTT is a good choice for my scenario, and this scenario is always M2M, so I may less use the Item of ESH.
I prefer to use ESH because it can handle the community among different systems, and further heterogeneous networks and protocols.
In fact, I want to build a system that integrates other system and service, like environment sensors, actuators in a building, some kinds of messages from internet, etc.
The other reason is about the flexibility of ESH. If some day I want to extent my system, it might be easy to do that by creating bindings of the new functions, then import them into the framework.

So, if I want just a simple demo, e.g. use the nature yahooweather binding of ESH framework, let it output the temperature value to the IDE console, how could I do that?
Also, I have no idea how the Thing of yahooweather be created. If I can finish this simple demo, I might breakthrough and get more answers.

Thanks a lot again! Smile
Previous Topic:Which project to open ?
Next Topic:autoupdate
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:47:49 GMT 2024