Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Windows VS Linux Eclipse JavaEE UI appears different(Wondering why they look different and have different menus)
Windows VS Linux Eclipse JavaEE UI appears different [message #1725480] Thu, 03 March 2016 18:32 Go to next message
Jeff Hasz is currently offline Jeff HaszFriend
We are attempting to standarize across all the possible platforms used in our company and I've noticed that Eclipse for JavaEE appears to be different on Linux than Eclipse for JavaEE on Windows.

For one thing there are a lot more menu items. In fact, there are 3 (yes, count them) three "File" drop menus. And two help menus. The first help menu simply holds an "About" submenu. The second one holds everything else!

And that is just the beginning.

index.php/fa/25175/0/I will try to post some screen shots once I'm a bit more familiar with how to do that.

Any insight as to why this is so vastly different would be helpful as I'd like our devs to be able to switch between OS's without having to relearn the IDE interface. Kinda defeats the purpose of settling on a "Standard" IDE for use across the project.

[Updated on: Fri, 04 March 2016 01:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Windows VS Linux Eclipse JavaEE UI appears different [message #1725497 is a reply to message #1725480] Thu, 03 March 2016 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Screen shots will definitely help. The forum's interface for attaching images is a little clunky, here's the gist: under the text box where you type your message, there are Choose File and Upload File buttons; use those to select and upload the image(s). Then you'll see the file(s) listed near the buttons, along with a link labeled "Insert image into message body" that will do as it says. Finally, submit your message as normal.

As for your actual problem, a question for you: How did you install Eclipse into the Linux machine? If you uses a Linux disto package manager (such as apt-get or similar), then that's probably the source of the differences. You should always download Eclipse directly from eclipse.org, not use package managers.
Re: Windows VS Linux Eclipse JavaEE UI appears different [message #1725508 is a reply to message #1725497] Fri, 04 March 2016 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff Hasz is currently offline Jeff HaszFriend
Ok, uploaded the image and inserted into the original message. I have the Windows version of the menubar and toolbars in front with the Linux version behind. And yes, I did intall via a tar, not via apt-get. I even went back to double check that I downloaded the right file!

So I'm really confused at this point. They both have the same plugins, etc... They should be identical. (or very nearly so)
Re: Windows VS Linux Eclipse JavaEE UI appears different [message #1725534 is a reply to message #1725508] Fri, 04 March 2016 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

On Linux, you have the Launch Bar installed and enabled, not to mention some redundant and oddly named menus.

Can you give the names of the files you downloaded on both platforms?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Fri, 04 March 2016 08:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Windows VS Linux Eclipse JavaEE UI appears different [message #1725572 is a reply to message #1725534] Fri, 04 March 2016 13:55 Go to previous message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Yes, the launch bar is part of the differences, but I don't think it explains the redundant and oddly arranged File and Help menus. The names Context Menu and Navigation Menu look suspicious, make me think that maybe some demo or sample plugin has gotten installed.
Jeff, what shows up in the extra File and Help menus, and the Context Menu and Navigation Menu?
Previous Topic:Installed plugin, now eclipse (mars) wont start
Next Topic:Password protect XML file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:01:10 GMT 2024