Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » P2 » Installed bundles not available until restart
Installed bundles not available until restart [message #1724186] Mon, 22 February 2016 08:42 Go to next message
Christian Pontesegger is currently offline Christian PonteseggerFriend
Hi,

while investigation my p2 topic a little closer I found out that after an install the installed bundles are not available until a restart. I am aware of the problem that eclipse plugins are mostly not really dynamic and that we need a restart to make sure everything works as expected. But it was strange to me that fresh bundles are not visible to OSGI at all. I would have expected them to be at least in the installed or resolved state. But the OSGi console does not show them at all.

Is there a way to force equinox to do a refresh on its bundles during runtime? I would at least like to get bundle instances for those new plugins.

thanks
Christian
Re: Installed bundles not available until restart [message #1724263 is a reply to message #1724186] Mon, 22 February 2016 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pascal Rapicault is currently offline Pascal RapicaultFriend
Even when a bundle is "fresh" it may have implications on the running system. For example, a fresh bundle can register new services, new extensions / extension points and then expect the already installed system to know about those.
This is why p2 does not do anything automatically when it comes to refreshing the system.
Sadly, there is nothing magic to do in this area except develop a markup to capture the intent of dynamic-ness of every bundle (work on this area got started in 2004! but never got completed), or expect everybody to be a good OSGi cictize (which we know is not the case for Eclipse)

Now to go back to your question, it is possible to refresh a running system by using the org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.configurator.Configurator service. This will cause the bundles.info to be reloaded in OSGi and will consequently cause the system to end-up in the state described in the bundles.info.
Re: Installed bundles not available until restart [message #1725082 is a reply to message #1724263] Mon, 29 February 2016 14:52 Go to previous message
Christian Pontesegger is currently offline Christian PonteseggerFriend
Still not there...
The Configurator provides the location of the UrlInUse(). It provides the location to the bundles.info file. This file contains all the information I need to detect a plugin location. My problem is that this file is not updated when I try to parse it from within a p2 touchpoint action. It seems it gets updated after the touchpoint was executed.
Is there no chance to access that information *during* the touchpoint execution?
Previous Topic:get target install location in touchpoint action
Next Topic:loadRepository and removeRepository in IMetadataRepositoryManager
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 12:46:34 GMT 2024