Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How to uninstall Eclipse Mars from Windows 7
How to uninstall Eclipse Mars from Windows 7 [message #1719541] Fri, 08 January 2016 17:39 Go to next message
Sharon Yildiz is currently offline Sharon YildizFriend
I just got a new laptop today and installed the "Eclipse IDE for Java Developers" (Eclipse-Mars) in error.

I can't figure out how to uninstall it. It doesn't appear in the Windows "installed programs" list and it doesn't have its own uninstaller in the installation folder. It seems to have installed stuff all over my computer--I'm finding the word "eclipse" in dozens of file directories all over my (brand new as of today) computer.

I searched the forums, but only see info for Linux users regarding uninstalling. What are the instructions for uninstalling Eclipse-Mars from Windows 7?

Thanks.
Re: How to uninstall Eclipse Mars from Windows 7 [message #1719551 is a reply to message #1719541] Fri, 08 January 2016 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
In general, Eclipse doesn't have a traditional install or uninstall process. It's basically just a folder of the application and then a workspace that you would have selected/created when you first run it.
If you used the Eclipse Installer, you may also have a bundle pool folder named .p2 under your user home directory. There can also be .eclipse in your user home. Other than that, there shouldn't be anything Eclipse-related. installation is just removing those folders.
What else do you see that seems to be Eclipse-related?
Re: How to uninstall Eclipse Mars from Windows 7 [message #1719553 is a reply to message #1719541] Fri, 08 January 2016 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 01/08/2016 11:35 AM, Sharon Yildiz wrote:
> I just got a new laptop today and installed the "Eclipse IDE for Java
> Developers" (Eclipse-Mars) in error.
> I can't figure out how to uninstall it. It doesn't appear in the Windows
> "installed programs" list and it doesn't have its own uninstaller in the
> installation folder. It seems to have installed stuff all over my
> computer--I'm finding the word "eclipse" in dozens of file directories
> all over my (brand new as of today) computer.
>
> I searched the forums, but only see info for Linux users regarding
> uninstalling. What are the instructions for uninstalling Eclipse-Mars
> from Windows 7?
>
> Thanks.
It's because Eclipse isn't installed software in the formal, Windows sense.

Look for an installation subdirectory, likely named eclipse. Under that
subdirectory, if you see files like eclipse.ini, icon.xpm and
subdirectories like plugins and dropins, remove the subdirectory parent
(the one named eclipse).

That will remove your installation except for anything you've set up
yourself (like workspaces, projects, etc.).

Hope this helps.
Re: How to uninstall Eclipse Mars from Windows 7 [message #1719556 is a reply to message #1719553] Fri, 08 January 2016 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the fast help! One last thing. Is it okay to delete the entire ".p2" folder? Was that installed with Eclipse, or is it a shared folder that should not be deleted?

P.S. I found that many of the instances I found that contained "eclipse" in the file name was from Doc-to-Help, a documentation program that can build Eclipse-compatible help.
Re: How to uninstall Eclipse Mars from Windows 7 [message #1719557 is a reply to message #1719556] Fri, 08 January 2016 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
It's OK to delete the .p2 folder (it's basically just a cache that will be re-built if ever needed), but if you expect to run any Eclipse-based tools in the near future you might want to leave it so that future installations or updates are faster.
Re: How to uninstall Eclipse Mars from Windows 7 [message #1719567 is a reply to message #1719557] Fri, 08 January 2016 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you! I appreciate your help.

Sharon
Re: How to uninstall Eclipse Mars from Windows 7 [message #1832236 is a reply to message #1719541] Sun, 13 September 2020 17:50 Go to previous message
Fabricio Franca is currently offline Fabricio FrancaFriend
So, gonna revive this old topic because it's the first page google shows when pasting the error.
If you got here for this reason, to fix the issue, install a more recent java jdk, 11+ (i've installed the 14) and then reinstall your eclipse choosing then, the new JDK you've installed during installation procedure.
Previous Topic:Eclipse error on first start
Next Topic:Error Installing dl.google.com/eclipse/plugin/4.5
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 13:17:27 GMT 2024