Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Sirius » Is it possible to use Sirius without generated java code?
Is it possible to use Sirius without generated java code? [message #1719077] Tue, 05 January 2016 00:17 Go to next message
Oddvar Hungnes is currently offline Oddvar HungnesFriend
Hi,

I am writing a research paper and I need to confirm something. Some editors, such as the reflective EMF tree editor, are able to work with Ecore models that have no generated model code. I want to know if this is possible with Sirius, or if the model code generation step is necessary.

I know it is possible to load an .ecore file from the workspace using the 'Load Resource' action, but it throws an error telling me that one of the classes does not exist:

The error goes away if I generate model code and load it into a new Eclipse workbench.

I am unable to find any information on whether this is supposed to be possible or not. If anyone knows for sure or has a source confirming whether it is, then it would help me out a lot. Thanks.

Version details:
Eclipse Modeling Tools

Version: Mars Release (4.5.0)
Build id: 20150621-1200

Sirius Specifier Environment 3.0.0.201506090807 org.eclipse.sirius.specifier.feature.group Eclipse Modeling Project
  • Attachment: error.png
    (Size: 33.81KB, Downloaded 509 times)

[Updated on: Wed, 06 January 2016 13:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Is it possible to use Sirius without generated java code? [message #1719328 is a reply to message #1719077] Thu, 07 January 2016 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Felix Dorner is currently offline Felix DornerFriend
Hi,

On 05-Jan-16 15:04, Oddvar Hungnes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am writing a research paper and I need to confirm something. Some editors, such as the reflective EMF tree editor, are able to work with Ecore models that have no generated model code. I want to know if this is possible with Sirius, or if the model code generation step is necessary.
>
> I know it is possible to load an .ecore file from the workspace using the 'Load Resource' action, but it throws an error telling me that one of the classes does not exist:
>
> The error goes away if I generate model code and load it into a new Eclipse workbench.

What happens if you deactivate live validation and try to run it?

Felix
Re: Is it possible to use Sirius without generated java code? [message #1719364 is a reply to message #1719077] Thu, 07 January 2016 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laurent Fasani is currently offline Laurent FasaniFriend
Le 05/01/2016 15:04, Oddvar Hungnes a écrit :
> Hi,
Hello
>
> I am writing a research paper and I need to confirm something. Some editors, such as the reflective EMF tree editor, are able to work with Ecore models that have no generated model code. I want to know if this is possible with Sirius, or if the model code generation step is necessary.
>
> I know it is possible to load an .ecore file from the workspace using the 'Load Resource' action, but it throws an error telling me that one of the classes does not exist:
>
> The error goes away if I generate model code and load it into a new Eclipse workbench.
>
> I am unable to find any information on whether this is supposed to be possible or not. If anyone knows for sure or has a source confirming whether it is, then it would help me out a lot. Thanks.
>
You need to generate java code to open an EMF model with your own type
EMF provides the Reflexive editor to edit .ecore models. If your ecore
model contains only instance of the Ecore metamodel you should be able
to open it without error with the reflexive editor

> Version details:
> Eclipse Modeling Tools
>
> Version: Mars Release (4.5.0)
> Build id: 20150621-1200
>
> Sirius Specifier Environment 3.0.0.201506090807 org.eclipse.sirius.specifier.feature.group Eclipse Modeling Project
>
Regards
Laurent

Laurent Fasani - Obeo
Need training or professional services for Sirius?
http://www.obeodesigner.com/sirius
Re: Is it possible to use Sirius without generated java code? [message #1719427 is a reply to message #1719364] Thu, 07 January 2016 19:58 Go to previous message
Oddvar Hungnes is currently offline Oddvar HungnesFriend
Felix Dorner wrote on Thu, 07 January 2016 09:50

What happens if you deactivate live validation and try to run it?
Felix

It doesn't show up in the Viewpoints Selection dialogue so I was unable get any farther than this.

Laurent Fasani wrote on Thu, 07 January 2016 13:09

You need to generate java code to open an EMF model with your own type
EMF provides the Reflexive editor to edit .ecore models. If your ecore
model contains only instance of the Ecore metamodel you should be able
to open it without error with the reflexive editor

Regards
Laurent

Thanks, that's good to know.
Previous Topic:AQL query problems
Next Topic:AQL and oclIsUndefined()
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 18:16:55 GMT 2024