Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Papyrus and components instantiations
Papyrus and components instantiations [message #1711534] Fri, 16 October 2015 17:47
Kostas Triantafyllidis is currently offline Kostas TriantafyllidisFriend
I want to make a system model in Papyrus and then perform analysis with a tool that i have developed.
In a class diagram I have defined a number of different components with their provided and required interfaces that each component features as you can see in "ComponentDefinition" picture.

Since that the original components can be used multiple times in the overall system as different instances, i would like to use the instances for composing static models of the system. In other words, i would like to create a Composite structure diagram (or something similar to it), where i would be able to add the component instances and their interfaces. For each component instance i would like to deploy specific interfaces depending on the purpose of the system.

To make it more clear let me give an example. Let's imagine that we have two robots that they perform different operations. The defined available components for controlling the robots are the same, and their functionality depends on the provided interfaces used each time. For representing the two robots in papyrus we need two robot instances. For each instance we should deploy different interfaces.

So i would like to use composite structure diagram for defining the system functionality. However, i did not manage to create instances inside the composite structure diagram.
When i drag and drop components from the model explorer into the composite diagram and i specify the interfaces, then the components are connected automatically. This is the behavior i would like to have with the difference that i would like to drag and drop the instantiated components.
But this operation is not possible when i try to drag and drop the instantiated components that i have created in instantiations.jpg.

I have to mention that i create the instantiated components in a class diagram by using from the palette the InstanceSpecification option and then by dragging and dropping the related component in the created InstanceSpecification element. In the model explorer the instantiated component is generated, inheriting the provided and required interfaces. Is the instantiation method that i am using correct or is there any other way to create component instances?

I have uploaded 3 different diagrams of how the system looks like now. In the composite diagram i am currently using the components and not their instances.
This has as a result that when i make any change in the component then the component in the model explorer is also updated. Is there a possibility to use instances of the components and not the component itself?
I tried many different diagrams but i did not manage to use the components instances and connect them through their provided and required interfaces.
Is there any other diagram that would allow me to use component instances and connect them through their provided and required interfaces?

Thank you in advance for your time,
Kostas

[Updated on: Mon, 19 October 2015 10:30]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Showing the icon of a second profile
Next Topic:Display Stereotypes in Sequence Diagrams
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:01:56 GMT 2024