Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Graphiti » "If the meaning of the X attribute isn't clear, there really should be more of a description...(Help with lack of doc?)
"If the meaning of the X attribute isn't clear, there really should be more of a description... [message #1709859] Thu, 01 October 2015 14:14 Go to next message
Rafal Filipiuk is currently offline Rafal FilipiukFriend
Hi,

I'm an inexperienced GUI/front-end dev. I've been playing around with the graphics side of things and I noticed that every time I look at the doc for methods offered by, say, gaService or Style, the doc either says Sets the value of the 'X' attribute or Returns the value of the 'X' attribute. If the meaning of the 'X' attribute isn't clear, there really should be more a description here...

A lot of the attributes are self-explanatory; such as height, width, X, Y, font, color, etc. But some are more arcane to me: what is 'Filled', or 'Angle', or 'Proportional', or 'Active'? Those are just off the top of my head but how does everyone know what these mean? Is there a reference manual for every property? I'm guessing that a lot of these properties are common knowledge among front-end devs, but is there anything I can consult instead of being met with a useless comment such as the one in this thread's title?

[Updated on: Thu, 01 October 2015 14:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: "If the meaning of the X attribute isn't clear, there really should be more of a descriptio [message #1709895 is a reply to message #1709859] Thu, 01 October 2015 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marek Jagielski is currently offline Marek JagielskiFriend
As for me, I just test them what they do.
Re: "If the meaning of the X attribute isn't clear, there really should be more of a descriptio [message #1709941 is a reply to message #1709895] Fri, 02 October 2015 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Wenz is currently offline Michael WenzFriend
Rafal, Marek,

perfectly right, there should be documentation on the flags (and the rest) of the Graphiti model. There is a rather old bugzilla still open for this: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=381178. Unfortunatly nobody has found the time so far to work on it.

Michael
Re: "If the meaning of the X attribute isn't clear, there really should be more of a descriptio [message #1709992 is a reply to message #1709941] Fri, 02 October 2015 14:12 Go to previous message
Rafal Filipiuk is currently offline Rafal FilipiukFriend
@Marek Testing is not that straightforward, is it? For example, a pictogramElement such as an Anchor has 'Referenced Graphics Algorithm' as a property. How would I find out what that is for through testing? I'm not an experienced dev, so I'm genuinely curious if there is a way.
Previous Topic:Positioning IDecorator in different PictogramElement
Next Topic:translations in babel package/site
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 27 14:56:54 GMT 2024