Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » proper installation of Eclipse for Windows(I want to know if I did this right.)
proper installation of Eclipse for Windows [message #1702072] Sat, 18 July 2015 17:42 Go to next message
Will Klem is currently offline Will KlemFriend
Before I proceed, I need to know if I have created any problems for myself. I am not experienced in installing IDEs. I have installed Eclipse 4.5.0 using the installer to avoid the necessity of extracting zipped files. The location of the install is C:/Users/<myname>/Desktop. I have noticed that C:/Users/<myname>/workspace is the location for my saved programs/projects. Should I move the installation to the same folder as the workspace to make all resources available?

Thanks for your replies.
Re: proper installation of Eclipse for Windows [message #1702076 is a reply to message #1702072] Sat, 18 July 2015 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Am 18.07.2015 um 19:50 schrieb Will Klem:
> Before I proceed, I need to know if I have created any problems for myself. I am not experienced in installing IDEs. I
> have installed Eclipse 4.5.0 using the installer to avoid the necessity of extracting zipped files. The location of
> the install is C:/Users/<myname>/Desktop. I have noticed that C:/Users/<myname>/workspace is the location for my saved
> programs/projects. Should I move the installation to the same folder as the workspace to make all resources available?
The installation and the workspace are two totally different things. What you probably want is to pick the Desktop as
the workspace when Eclipse asks you for the workspace location. Personally I would strongly recommend to create a
separate workspace, though. If you want to use a different workspace select "Switch Workspace" in the File menu.

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

Re: proper installation of Eclipse for Windows [message #1702079 is a reply to message #1702072] Sun, 19 July 2015 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 07/18/2015 11:50 AM, Will Klem wrote:
> Before I proceed, I need to know if I have created any problems for
> myself. I am not experienced in installing IDEs. I have installed
> Eclipse 4.5.0 using the installer to avoid the necessity of extracting
> zipped files. The location of the install is C:/Users/<myname>/Desktop.
> I have noticed that C:/Users/<myname>/workspace is the location for my
> saved programs/projects. Should I move the installation to the same
> folder as the workspace to make all resources available?
>
> Thanks for your replies.

You should install Eclipse on a path like C:\User\will\eclipse. Put your
workspace where it's most convenient, for example, perhaps
C:\User\will\dev\workspace.

I haven't used the installer yet (and probably won't), but there's
nothing wrong with that otherwise it would not have been invented.

Depending on what you plan to do with it, this might interest you.

http://www.javahotchocolate.com/notes/

Cheers
Re: proper installation of Eclipse for Windows [message #1702625 is a reply to message #1702079] Thu, 23 July 2015 15:01 Go to previous message
Will Klem is currently offline Will KlemFriend
sorry for the delayed reply... Personal life got real busy for a few days. It is not uncommon for that to happen when I begin a new personal project.

Thanks for the replies. I will start over and put everything in the C;\users path before proceeding.
Previous Topic:The Script dispersed on me
Next Topic:Does BIRT integrate with Windows AD?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:34:10 GMT 2024