Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » SimpleIDE example status(SimpleIDE example status)
SimpleIDE example status [message #1701485] Mon, 13 July 2015 15:41 Go to next message
Pawel Pogorzelski is currently offline Pawel PogorzelskiFriend
Guys, what's the status of SimpleIDE example? I'm having trouble launching it against Mars and suspect it's been outdated.
Re: SimpleIDE example status [message #1701508 is a reply to message #1701485] Mon, 13 July 2015 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
It was an experiment which i stopped working on more than 2 years ago.

I've been exploring the IDE space in the light of JavaFX and most of the
concept could be applied to SWT as well I'm not targetting that!

All I can say is the e4 a perfect match to build small and custom IDEs
(see
http://tomsondev.bestsolution.at/2015/07/08/eclipse-democamp-season-javafx-smart-code-editors-eg-for-google-dart/)

Tom

On 13.07.15 17:41, Pawel Pogorzelski wrote:
> Guys, what's the status of SimpleIDE example? I'm having trouble
> launching it against Mars and suspect it's been outdated.
Re: SimpleIDE example status [message #1701576 is a reply to message #1701508] Tue, 14 July 2015 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mihael Schmidt is currently offline Mihael SchmidtFriend
Quote:
All I can say is the e4 a perfect match to build small and custom IDEs

Eclipse e4 is a nice framework/library (whatever you want to call it) but it is only a small part in building a custom IDE. Eclipse RCP and IDE has made it very easy to build an IDE when you build it in 3.x style. You'll get all the bells and whistles for free.

If you want to build a pure e4 application you won't get all the bells and whistles because they depend on Eclipse 3.x stuff, like org.eclise.ui.x and org.eclipse.ui.ide etc... and you won't be able to use them. For example the whole preferences stuff won't work (and I say "whole" because what good are preferences if the user can't change them, where is the UI?). All extra views won't be available in a pure e4 application, like Properties, Tasks, etc ... .

The time I started with e4 there was also no integration of the whole "progress" stuff. Don't know the current status as I have my own solution for it now (same with preferences).

I don't say that e4 is no good. Not at all. Eclipse e4 is really nice but you need to have the right expectations.

My 2 cents.

Mihael
Re: SimpleIDE example status [message #1701614 is a reply to message #1701576] Tue, 14 July 2015 13:07 Go to previous message
Pawel Pogorzelski is currently offline Pawel PogorzelskiFriend
Thomas, Mihael, thanks for the explanation. I'm working on a pure e4 client, not an IDE, and was just looking for some more example code.
Previous Topic:Menus in e4 with model fragments!!
Next Topic:Permanently remove part from the model
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 06:19:45 GMT 2024