Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Program file does not exist(Can't get Run menu / Run to work)
Program file does not exist [message #1700587] Sat, 04 July 2015 07:33 Go to next message
William Campbell is currently offline William CampbellFriend
I'm new to this. I have installed Eclipse, I want to do C++ in it. I got the Hello World project to run, but I created a new blank c++ project, pasted in some sample code. I can build the project but when I try to debug or run, I get the error message:

Launching [project name].exe has encountered a problem. Program file does not exist.

Looking at the path, it _doesn't_ exist. I would be grateful if someone could explain how to make it exist, or otherwise get beyond this.

In addition, there is a red symbol with a white X on it overlaid on the project name, but i can't figure out how to find out which error that denotes.
Re: Program file does not exist [message #1700589 is a reply to message #1700587] Sat, 04 July 2015 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
William Campbell is currently offline William CampbellFriend
Additionally, the following is in the Problems tab:

Description Resource Path Location Type
Program "g++" not found in PATH Preferences, C++/Build/Settings/Discovery, [CDT GCC Built-in Compiler Settings] options C/C++ Scanner Discovery Problem
Program "gcc" not found in PATH Preferences, C++/Build/Settings/Discovery, [CDT GCC Built-in Compiler Settings] options C/C++ Scanner Discovery Problem
undefined reference to `WinMain' [project name line 0, external location: C:\MinGW\x86_64-w64-mingw32\lib\libmingw32.a(lib64_libmingw32_a-crt0_c.o):crt0_c.c C/C++ Problem
Re: Program file does not exist [message #1717936 is a reply to message #1700589] Thu, 17 December 2015 21:19 Go to previous message
john kuras is currently offline john kurasFriend
I had the same problem with one of my c++ projects... It appeared to have been caused by the way I added files to my project (via drag & drop). I was able to fix it by right clicking on my project and selecting:

properties -- Run/Debug Settings

This should bring up a form that has an area on the right titled "Launch configurations for 'xxx':", where 'xxx' is the project name. There should be an item in the box under that heading that has a small windows icon with a 'c" in it that says "xxx Debug". Click on that item and the "Edit..." button on the far right should become available... click on the edit button...

This should bring up another window titled "Edit launch configuration properties". For my project, the box under the line "C/C++ Application" was empty. This needs to point to the location of the executable that will be debugged. I was able to click on the "Search Project..." button and find my executable ("Debug/xxx"). I just clicked on that and it filled in the application box. After it's filled in, click on the "Apply" button followed by the "Ok" button. This will bring you back to the Debug settings dialogue window... Click the "Ok" button again, and you should be good to go...

Previous Topic:Why CDT so bad?
Next Topic:I cant see the C/C++ tab in open perspective
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 13:58:08 GMT 2024