Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Finding a class in the ...\plugins directory(What is the current best practice for finding a class in the ...\plugins directory)
Finding a class in the ...\plugins directory [message #1699829] Fri, 26 June 2015 22:56 Go to next message
Paul Roubekas is currently offline Paul RoubekasFriend
Way back I found a plug-in from IBM Alpha works called "jarclassfinder" that allow me to search all .jar files in a directory for .jar that had the requested class name. The "jarclassfinder" is not on Alphaworks anymore. I am now back doing some eclipse work and and trying to find the equivalent functionality. Then I did a google search and found "classLocator" on sourceforge. Tried that by dropping the "classlocator.jar" file in the plugins directory and the dropins directories and did not show up either way.

My question is this....
What is the current best practice (tool) for finding a class in the ...\plugins directory. I saw no such feature (tab) in the "search -> search" panel.

Oxygen 3a
Windows 10
Re: Finding a class in the ...\plugins directory [message #1700033 is a reply to message #1699829] Mon, 29 June 2015 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently online Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

From the main Plug-in Development preference page, make sure the checkbox for "Include all plug-ins from target in Java Search" is on. Then you'll be able to use the Open Type command on their types. You might have to disable the Package/Project Explorer's "External Plug-in Libraries" Filter to see the actual jar file.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Mon, 29 June 2015 18:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Finding a class in the ...\plugins directory [message #1700333 is a reply to message #1700033] Wed, 01 July 2015 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apparently I was not very clear. I need to search a directory full of *.jar files, which is NOT already configured as a library in a Eclipse Plug-in Project for a Java Class.

Oxygen 3a
Windows 10
Re: Finding a class in the ...\plugins directory [message #1700448 is a reply to message #1700333] Thu, 02 July 2015 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
Do you need to do this from an external command line, or somehow integrated into Eclipse? If the former, and you're running in an environment where you can run Perl scripts from your command line (Unix, Linux, Cygwin, or perhaps ActiveState Perl), I wrote a small suite of Perl scripts for searching for files in zip archives.
Re: Finding a class in the ...\plugins directory [message #1700454 is a reply to message #1700448] Thu, 02 July 2015 16:32 Go to previous message
I have uploaded and attached the plug-in zip file that worked in Eclipse 3.0. I tried getting it to work in Eclipse 4.4.2 but it does not show up on the menu and I see no errors. Is it possible someone with deeper Eclipse skills can see what is going on?

Oxygen 3a
Windows 10
Previous Topic:Maven integration for Eclipse Ganymede 3.4.2
Next Topic:Eclipse certification??
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 03:20:50 GMT 2024