Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Subversive » The documentation is written in bad English
The documentation is written in bad English [message #1692485] Thu, 16 April 2015 08:35 Go to next message
thomas wexler is currently offline thomas wexlerFriend
Hello,

I've only read like 5 pages of the subversive documentation and I already feel like I have to puke. I know that programmers arn't the most meticulous guys in the world, but c'mon people! The least you can do is write the damn documentation in proper English!

Believe it or not, there are actually people reading it.

Just a few examples:

/subversive/documentation/teamSupport.php
Let's take a quick run on an (example) exemplery team working cycle on some big project.
So, some software company has a really big set of projects. Earlier this company used another version control system, non SVN, and made a decision to trust Subversion®, choosing this plug-in to get a comfortable working environment. The company administrator has already installed Subversion® on the company server and created a repository. The local copy of all of the company projects is available and the first thing he would like to do will be sharing them, so the developers team could continue their work on them. And he notices the first profit of the Subversive plug-in - multiple projects sharing.

Note: For information on sharing refer to the Sharing and SVN Sharing Wizard topics of this part of the guide.
Note: For information on creating a new repository location refer to the SVN Repository Location Wizard topic of this part of the guide.

The projects are shared and the development team can start (there) their work. Firstly they have to check out the projects they need to work with. Another (uniquie) unique feature of the Subversive plug-in comes (on) into sight at once - there is no problem from now on with browsing throughout the location to find needed projects. Every member of the team should only start the Find/Check Out As wizard and as it finds all the Eclipse projects shared on the location simply select the needed ones to be checked out to the appropriate workspace.

Note: For information on checking out refer to the Checking out and SVN Find/Check Out As Wizard topics of this part of the guide.

So every member of the team can now continue his everyday work. The Subversive plug-in doesn't limit the work strategy - it provides support to both teams using the 'Lock-Modify-Unlock Solution' model and teams using the 'Copy-Modify-Merge Solution' model.

/subversive/documentation/teamSupport/new_location_wiz.php
'SVN Repository Location Wizard' provides the (probability) possibility to add a new repository location link to your workspace. Accessible from the 'SVN Repository View' (click on the 'New Repository Location' button), the 'File>New' menu item in the 'Repository Exploring Perspective' and from the 'New>Other' menu item in every other perspective. The user should specify all necessary options and click 'Finish' to accept an action or 'Cancel' to discard it.

See what I mean? If there are that many mistakes on merely two pages, there most be thousands in the whole documentation! That's not what I would consider as professional.
Re: The documentation is written in bad English [message #1693913 is a reply to message #1692485] Wed, 29 April 2015 09:24 Go to previous message
Alexander Gurov is currently offline Alexander GurovFriend
Thank you for reporting the issue. I've added your note to the issue report:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=293311
Previous Topic:SVN in Eclipse
Next Topic:SVN options missing in team menu
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 25 07:10:47 GMT 2024