Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Class issues???(Just trying to access widgets outside creation block)
Class issues??? [message #1690720] Mon, 30 March 2015 19:53 Go to next message
George Stiles is currently offline George StilesFriend
I speak C and VB6 very well......new to Java/Eclipse/WindowBuilder. Trying to convert several VB6 apps into Java; all is great except for the attached. I am obviously not OOP oriented! I want routines that will manage my List (.add etc) and manage Text (setText) widgets. There are two VB6 to Java that I need pretty quickly....I have written most of the code and it's great, except for the ability to use my List widget.....
I also understand that List (and Button) is not subclassable...obviously I do not understand Class...sorry - any help greatly appreciated.
If there is a sample code available, please provide a link. 'List' is not a great search key!
Attached are my two very short test files.....annotated with the failures errors.
TIA! George
Re: Class issues??? [message #1690747 is a reply to message #1690720] Tue, 31 March 2015 02:12 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
George,

This forum isn't intended for general help for how Java itself works.
Use Stackoverflow or Java Ranch for that. You clearly don't have a good
idea how scopes work in Java, i.e., you can't see local variables from
one method in another method so changestuff can't see list1 because it's
declared in createContents; it must be a field to be shared, i.e., like
shell. Also, keep in mind Java naming conventions, i.e., listfailure
is a bad name for a class; it should be ListFailure. ManageList should
"extend" listfailure; "implements" is used to implement an interface
(listfailure is a class) while "extends" is used to extend a class.
When using Eclipse, you can use Ctrl-Space to do completion, and if
Eclipse can't complete to some variable name, that's because it's not
visible in that scope...

On 30/03/2015 10:56 PM, George Stiles wrote:
> I speak C and VB6 very well......new to Java/Eclipse/WindowBuilder. Trying to convert several VB6 apps into Java; all is great except for the attached. I am obviously not OOP oriented! I want routines that will manage my List (.add etc) and manage Text (setText) widgets. There are two VB6 to Java that I need pretty quickly....I have written most of the code and it's great, except for the ability to use my List widget.....
> I also understand that List (and Button) is not subclassable...obviously I do not understand Class...sorry - any help greatly appreciated.
> If there is a sample code available, please provide a link. 'List' is not a great search key!
> Attached are my two very short test files.....annotated with the failures errors.
> TIA! George
>

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Am I allowed to show Eclipse as an example in our proprietary software's API Documentation?
Next Topic:Error: Could not find or load main class ScopeApp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 00:52:29 GMT 2024