Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » SWT error: Out of handles
SWT error: Out of handles [message #1690398] Fri, 27 March 2015 07:34 Go to next message
Tomas Sandkvist is currently offline Tomas SandkvistFriend
I have experienced the SWT error Out of handles for some time now. Did some research on the internet, there was some old bugs reported in Bugzilla.

Also, started to monitor handles through Process Explorer, only to find that the number of handles neverreaches the 10 000 limit set by Windows.

I also found some mentioning of GDI Objects, but neither those increases to beyond the stated limits as far as I can tell. I have however noticed that when opening my (fairly large) model, javaW.exe consumes roughly 600 GDI objects, which increases rapidly to about 1200-1500 objects, while the number of handles stays fairly consistent around 800.

I did find some mention on the internet of the Windows desktop heap size being too low set in the registry, and that it could be the reason for the 'out of handles' error if the handle count seems normal, which I have increased to see if it helps.

But I also noticed that the consumed number of GDI objects does not lower even if I close the model. Shouldn't those be released depending on the volume of shown objects in Papyrus?

Regards,
Tomas Sandkvist

[Updated on: Fri, 27 March 2015 08:06]

Report message to a moderator

Re: SWT error: Out of handles [message #1690410 is a reply to message #1690398] Fri, 27 March 2015 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camille Letavernier is currently offline Camille LetavernierFriend
Hi Tomas,

NoMoreHandle Errors are apparently caused by an (unidentified) issue occurring somewhere between Eclipse toolbar contributions and SWT for Windows. For some reason, the toolbar can't be properly refreshed during a context change, and SWT mis-interprets the native return code to be a "NoMoreHandle" error.

So it's not a real "NoMoreHandles" error

It also seems that it doesn't happen in all Windows installations (At least in Luna/Mars; before that it was much more common), but once again, the exact cause is unknown.

Additionally, it is not specific to Papyrus: I often have this error when switching from e.g. Mylyn task list to Git History. It really seems related to how toolbars items are refreshed during the context (View/Editor) change.

See 420561: [Properties View] Unhandled Exception - No More Handles
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=420561

Camille

Camille Letavernier
Re: SWT error: Out of handles [message #1690935 is a reply to message #1690410] Wed, 01 April 2015 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tomas Sandkvist is currently offline Tomas SandkvistFriend
Hi Camille!

Interesting issue. Does this mean that I can safely ignore the warnings about the need for closing the workbench?

Regards,
Tomas
Re: SWT error: Out of handles [message #1690951 is a reply to message #1690935] Wed, 01 April 2015 08:48 Go to previous message
Camille Letavernier is currently offline Camille LetavernierFriend
Definitely. It is actually safer to ignore them than to kill your Eclipse Application

Camille

Camille Letavernier
Previous Topic:Instantiation of blocks does not show ports in Papyrus
Next Topic:Plugin design in Papyrus
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 03:37:42 GMT 2024